Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking for your assistance please!

Hey out there in MJR land,

I have a 93 YJ with a pretty much a stock 2.5L engine, 5 speed and stock drive train, with 33's. Awhile back I bought a 27 spline Auburn E-CTED E-Locker, the install kit and bearings for the rear D35-C. Now, I've had this thing sittin on a shelf in the garage for over a year now and I wanna to put it in soooo bad!..... but, I don't have the technical savvy to take on that kind of job myself. (Right now, It is alittle under geared with 4-11's, the 4 banger and 33's but, it's not too bad!!) I'm afraid though, that if I don't upgrade the stock 4-11 gears that are in it now to at least 4-56's or 4-88's as well as getting a set of heavy duty (ALLOY) 27 spline axles, I may start breaking things. I'm working on getting or (looking for) the heavier duty Axles and front and rear gear sets but it may be awhile.

Question #1: Do I go ahead and install the locker now or, do I wait and do it all at the same time?

Question #2: If I go ahead and install the locker, is there anyone out there that has the technical knowlage to help me wrench it or, should I just take it somewhere and have it done.

"I really like wrenchin on the Jeep myself, that way if I break it I know how to fix it!!"

I'm looking at these Axles:
    http://www.rocky-road.com/jeepaxle.html

Open to suggestions!

Thank's, Scott
    Last edited by avjeepfreek; 12-11-08, 03:00 PM.
    "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

My story exactly! Someday!

Comment

Hey Scott,

I would love to help you but I am the world's worst mechanic. When I bought the 1" body lift for my jeep I almost threw-up at the thought of installing it myself. I finally did it and was successful, but tackling helping install a locker would be way above my capibilities. Remember the words of Dirty Harry: "a man's got to know his limitations!" - I'm sure there's someone out there that can help you with this.

BTW, when are we going wheeling again? You're a great guy to go with.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

have someone install the gears and locker.
        dont buy ALLOY Usa axles. they are out of business and have no warranty.
        look at Superior axles.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Well, this subject is a double edge sword, so to speak.
          Like you, I have a 93 YJ with the 2.5l and D35 axle and had the Super 35 kit with 4.88 gears installed. It worked well for me for about two years and can be a reasonable choice for a beginner. (along with the Tera-Flex 4:1 gears for the NP231)
          But, know this, you will break that axle!The axle tubes are too weak and will leave you stranded. I broke my D35 out at Calico and fortunately for me, the folks for Point Mugu 4x4 club helped me get off of the trail!
          IMO - Sell the entire setup to somebody else and upgrade to either a Dana 44 or do like I did and invest in a Currie high pinion 9" with disk brakes. Other than bending up some new brake lines it was a completely bolt on issue.
          Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
            have someone install the gears and locker.
            dont buy ALLOY Usa axles. they are out of business and have no warranty.
            look at Superior axles.
            When did these guys go out of business? I had not heard anything about it!
            I guess that I had better not break my front axles!
            Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
              When did these guys go out of business? I had not heard anything about it!
              I guess that I had better not break my front axles!
              they went under about a month ago.
              no warranty on your alloy usa axle

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724873
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
                I broke my D35 out at Calico and fortunately for me, the folks for Point Mugu 4x4 club helped me get off of the trail!
                Am I the one the benefitted from your breaking the D35 with Super 35 kit?

Also... Scott...when looking for a shop to put in your diff&gears. I liked John in Norco. 951.277.1037 He came HIGHLY recommended by folks I consider to be very knowledgeable here on MJR.
                [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Scott,

If you have to pay someone to do this work, I'd wait till you have everything ready to go. Other wise you are going to to be paying for the labor twice. Just my opinion. I'd help if I knew how.

Mitch

Comment

I would get some aftermarket axles before I would install the locker. If you need help installing, I could give hand with that

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                      I would get some aftermarket axles before I would install the locker. If you need help installing, I could give hand with that
                      I agree step up to some axles that will take the abuse and put the $$ into those, I can also help out if you need it......
                      Its no fun without family

Comment

First, if you choose to buy those axles do not use Rocky Road. They have a horrible reputation that is well deserved. Here's another vendor with a great reputation: http://www.atozfabrication.com/catal...ends-p-71.html

Second, I don't think Alloy ever made the 27 spline chromoly shafts for a Dana 35. The only ones I'd ever seen when I still had a 35 and was looking were Yukon's.

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                        they went under about a month ago.
                        no warranty on your alloy usa axle

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724873
                        From that thread:

Originally posted by Ron Stobaugh
                        We will honor Alloy USA warranty claims.

Details are being worked out, but original receipt is required and product will need to be returned. One of the details we must work out is a cut-off date. There will be a point where someone will be using the Alloy brand name on some product - we obviously won't be able to warranty that product. Until we get the procedures worked out, please PM me or email ronstobaugh@gmail.com if you have what you feel is a warranty claim. I'll work through it with you.
                        As he stated in that thread, Motive Gear will warranty the Alloy axles. This would not apply if you bought them now, but for those who already have Alloy axles.
                        "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Upgrade 4 me

Hey Scott,
                          I may want to buy your old axles complete. THey would be an upgrade for me. I am running 3:07's with 32's and It boggs a bit.
                          Let me know if you choose to replace it all. Hopefully we can work something out.

Scott

Comment

Stuff it , Run it, Swap it!

Scott I like the idea of, stuffing that locker in your junk and learning something new (that few ever learn)from one of these guys who is willing to help you. It would hold you over for the time being. Then you could keep looking at different classifieds patiently waiting for that set of ??? axles complete with gears, discs and lockers... then sell yours and make some cake back. If you buy the chromo (any brand) axles for your current set up then it just becomes a cost vs benefit at that point. You could just stock up on some stock axles...?
                            One last note, had you considered putting that locker in the front instead of the rear since it is not your daily driver, careful on the ice though. lol...

Originally posted by 4xfiend View Post

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Ron Stobaugh
                            We will honor Alloy USA warranty claims.

Details are being worked out, but original receipt is required and product will need to be returned. One of the details we must work out is a cut-off date. There will be a point where someone will be using the Alloy brand name on some product - we obviously won't be able to warranty that product. Until we get the procedures worked out, please PM me or email ronstobaugh@gmail.com if you have what you feel is a warranty claim. I'll work through it with you.

Sep. Quote:
                            As he stated in that thread, Motive Gear will warranty the Alloy axles. This would not apply if you bought them now, but for those who already have Alloy axles. As he stated in that thread, Motive Gear will warranty the Alloy axles for those who already have Alloy axles.
                            ronstobaugh@gmail.com Ron's E-dress is in my book now thanks! Employing front and rear Alloy USA here. Bought em a while ago,1-2 yrs., never had problems yet but I am pretty timid driver...

Good luck Scott, and let me know if you need a knuckle head to help you.
                            Best, Max7
                            Last edited by Max7; 12-15-08, 09:23 AM.
                            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                              Am I the one the benefitted from your breaking the D35 with Super 35 kit?

Also... Scott...when looking for a shop to put in your diff&gears. I liked John in Norco. 951.277.1037 He came HIGHLY recommended by folks I consider to be very knowledgeable here on MJR.
                              Why, yes I believe you are the lucky one who carted away said axle.
                              Money pit!

Comment

Working...
                              X