Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QuadraTrac Emergency Drive Shift Valve and QuadraTrac Lever Info?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QuadraTrac Emergency Drive Shift Valve and QuadraTrac Lever Info?

So, from all I can tell, the quadratrac has no shifter, tho i've been told different things about all this, that i can believe. my valve has no vacuum going to it and no switch in the glove compartment (like i've been told there should be) for the reason i believe to be cause someone dropped an 85 body on my 76/77 cj7.

but i'm curious......cause there's a lever on the driver upper side of the xfer that can be moved when the wheels are off the ground. and i'm curious as to verify what selection it should be in and that the xfer is working like it should etc

any info on this type of xfer would be appreciated!

pictures plus any identifying numbers or letters would help, from your question it could be anything.

The Quaadra-trac had a optional low range. which could be the lever you see.If that lever was ever used there would be a cable going to a shifter on the tranny tunnel. However the unit went into 4x4 by using a vacuum unit switched in the glove box, the switch is labeled emergency drive. It was a rotating switch. it lead to one of the 2 nipples on the vacuum shifter on the unit.
    Now if it is a 85 body on a early cj7,they could have changed the drive line. Before buying any parts I would pull the case and identify it, the early quadra-tracs have a small idiosyncrasy, the chain, when it stretches it will build up under the gearing that has to little clearance and explodes the case. That is why I say to pull the unit, if you do not know much about unit you need to open it up and check the chain. This case can get expensive to rebuild, just the shaft is over 150 smackers. and some parts can only be sourced by specialty after market vendors. plus other parts are spring loaded and you can watch small parts go flying if you do not know what or where they are. It is best to let a professional do interior work and maintenance on this unit. (I Believe not a NP Unit but a BW) Anyway this is also a unit that is popular to replace with another system.
    Last edited by blackZZR; 11-25-08, 02:32 PM.
    censored for having an opinion

Comment

one more thought, if the entire vacuum system is missing, you will need to get several parts to replace it, not just the switch, and I do not know where to source the plastic "manifold" that collects all 6 hoses and directs them.
      censored for having an opinion

Comment

well no numbers or pics. i do know that when i first got the jeep and was checking it out the bottom of the valve had a hole torn in it. no hoses hooked up. we lifted it once and moved the lever to what we believed was out of that low mode. but you can't make it budge in park or neutral. and the chain is probably a problem. when you shift it jerks like the chain is loose. i feel like i need linkage cause there's a lever, so that just makes sense, but nothings there. but if it blows i'd replace it with something else for sure. and i am worried about the extra strain when i lift it and put bigger tires. i plan on replacing it and the axles when i can, just can't do it all at once right now. i would like to see if it's working cause i'm moving to the co mts, plus play time i'll try and find more out of get pics

Comment

in it's orignal form, the glove box switch, when engaged, was for emergency drive only, locking the two driveshafts together, and eliminating any slip in the differential inside the QTrac unit.
          The low range shift lever is all mechanical linkage if floor mounted, no cable. Cable was only used on the very early units in J trucks and Wagoneers. Mechanical linkage replaced the cable set-up.
          If you don't have locking hubs or the part time conversion, you are in 4 wheel drive all the time, assuming all mechanical innards are working properly.
          Once the part time kit is installed, the e-drive switch becomes your 2wd to 4wd switch; the lever on the floor remains the low range lever.
          You only need a vac supply hose to the switch, and the two hoses that run down to the shift diaphram. No special connector needed as mentioned above for those hoses.

The chains will stretch thru usage, this is normal. There is a pipe plug on the bottom of the unit where the factory chain tension gauge would screw in to check chain life. DIYs have devised other ways to check chain tension.
          When working properly, the unit was the best full time unit ever built. Unfortunatley, the high maintenance and low fuel economy back in the day most likely expedited their demise.

Comment

Working...
          X