Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Checking engine codes WITHOUT a scanner tool.

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking engine codes WITHOUT a scanner tool.

If you don't have the cash to get a OBDC scan tool to get your engine codes:

Put the key into the ignition and move the key from Run to Off to Run to Off to Run within five seconds. It does not always work the first time. (Run is JUST before Start). The code will show up in the odometer.

Best, Max7
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
    If you don't have the cash to get a OBDC scan tool to get your engine codes:

Put the key into the ignition and move the key from Run to Off to Run to Off to Run within five seconds. It does not always work the first time. (Run is JUST before Start). The code will show up in the odometer.

Best, Max7
    this doesnt work on jeeps newer than..um.. 99 I think.
    I know my 97 TJ would do it, but my 2000 will not.
    good info though!
    It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

You can also go to any Auto Zone and they will use the OBDC to check it and tell you the codes....FREE!

Comment

Originally posted by Elusive View Post
        this doesnt work on jeeps newer than..um.. 99 I think.
        I know my 97 TJ would do it, but my 2000 will not.
        good info though!
        I own a 2006.
        Best, Max7
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The newer Jeeps have something similar. You hold down the trip reset button and then turn the key to run. It does a fault check and checks the dash lights and movement of your gauges. I don't think it gives you the codes through from what I remember. I tried it on a Jeep that had the check engine light on and it said " no faults". I think it was Desert Jewels.

Desert Jewel, do you remember if It showed a code?
          Dennis
          04 TJ
          4.0/Auto
          RE 4.5 Long Arm
          Rock-It Man Rockers
          33x12.50 BFG A/T
          desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

Comment

After you get the code. How/Where do you find out what the code means?
            It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Jeep forums or a fsm. If you have a particular code, just post it here or pm me. I can find out no problem, also obd2 codes are mostly generic so pretty much the same for any make car or light truck

Comment

Type it into Google. OBD codes are the same for all makes so a P0420 in a Ford means the same as a P0420 in a Jeep.

My Jeep is an 02 and the key trick works on it.

Comment

I know '92 and '07 can be done with the key. Ditto on the google.
                  God forgives, rocks don't
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

I found this site. http://www.obd-codes.com/

They give a good discription of the prob, and even suggest how to fix it.
                    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Ive got a 90' Wrangler.. No check Engine Lights.. but how would i check it, if one comes up?
                      And sometimes its difficult to start.. What do you suggest i work on first?
                      Unl!m3teD M0d$

Comment

No check engine lights means leave it alone. If it's hard to start, start with basics. How is the battery? Is the alternator charging? How old are the plugs, wires, cap and rotor? When was the last fuel filter change? How about oil and filter? Look at post #2 on this thread for how to check it. Your check engine light will flash two sets of numbers for each code with a pause in between. You will always get a 13 and a 55. 13 is shown by one flash, short pause and three flashes. It just means that the battery power has been restored. 55 will come about three seconds later with five flashes, a short pause and five more flashes. It means that the scan is complete.
                        God forgives, rocks don't
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 90Wrangler View Post
                          Ive got a 90' Wrangler.. No check Engine Lights.. but how would i check it, if one comes up?
                          And sometimes its difficult to start.. What do you suggest i work on first?
                          Your 90 has that lame F.I. system that's completly different than anything else.You can't reads it's codes without it's special code reader.
                          I forget it's name but it's a Renault system.It has 2 yellow plugs on the inner fender.

Comment

Working...
                          X