Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping engines, '99 4.0 into my '92XJ

Can someone help? I need to know what needs to be done in order to swap a '99 4.0 longblock into my '92 XJ? Are they even compatable?

Originally posted by fftrmedic View Post
    Can someone help? I need to know what needs to be done in order to swap a '99 4.0 longblock into my '92 XJ? Are they even compatable?
    Search over at NAXJA. It is compatible though and really should be very simple... Both are HOs and really their only difference is the better intake manifold on the 99. Also, there might be a problem with the fuel return line, IIRC i believe the 92 has one off the rail and the 99 doesnt...

Check there for more info though.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

You will have to smog it to 1999 levels that I do know. You will need to know what Ca. wants you to have on/in your Jeep for that also.......
      Best of luck.
      Respectfully,
      LG
      Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

actually, i think you would want to keep it below 1998. i know that my 97 tj is the same as a 98 and that its OBDII. after 98 the computer is different, it went to distributor-less ignition as well. why dont you build a stroker...????? http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/

i am building one and it really isnt that hard and its actually kinda fun sourcing your parts.... hardest part for me was finding a 12wt cj 258 crank from the late 70's- early 80's... thats the preferred crank.. for crawling anyways...
        hit me up if you care for a parts list to get 275hp and close to 300 tq for under 2k. it'll be street legal and retain all of your oem exterior components.
        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Just put a 99 into a 91 XJ and everything is the same except for the oil sensor unit. Took it to the smog shop today, didn't tell them anything about it being a 99 engine, and it passed right on thru. The engines are the same block, so you shouldn't have any problems. Oh, just need to get the distributor on the right tooth, or it won't fire. My first time working on a Cherokee, Kevin.

Comment

Working...
          X