Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hp dana 30 in a tj

Does anyone have one or put one in their jeep tj. I have read they are stronger and bolt right in a tj. I was thinking about getting one and putting it in my tj. Thanks too aw12345 for showing this setup to me.Do you think with better aftermarket axles it can handle a 37" tire.

Running 37's ON a 30 hp is a crap shoot.But it all depends how you wheel it. A lot of guys get away with it.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

I run one with the Super 30 kit, it is a bolt in application, and it is a fairly economical upgrade considering the alternative. IMO, the D30 is underrated, and contrary to popular belief, it doesn't instantly explode.

Most, if not all of the trails can be done on 35s or less, and even 35s can be overkill in most cases. So, do you need or do you want 37s? In any case, be prepared to address other components weaknesses, such as steering and brakes for starters.
      [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Lawrence is right once you go to 37's its a hole new ball game!
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
          I run one with the Super 30 kit, it is a bolt in application, and it is a fairly economical upgrade considering the alternative. IMO, the D30 is underrated, and contrary to popular belief, it doesn't instantly explode.

Most, if not all of the trails can be done on 35s or less, and even 35s can be overkill in most cases. So, do you need or do you want 37s? In any case, be prepared to address other components weaknesses, such as steering and brakes for starters.
          My understanding is that the hp d30 is stronger because the pinion is pushing on the stronger side of the ring gear. It is also my understanding that a d44 isnt much stronger either but alot more money.I was thinking of doing a high line fender kit with 3-4 inch suspension lift and 1" body lift. With the biggest tires i can get away with which is probably 37"
          Last edited by Jeeperator; 10-10-08, 08:30 PM.

Comment

If you go to 5:38 gears you don't have much of a pinion left. Its very small. I would go 9" or 60.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
              My understanding is that the hp d30 is stronger because the pinion is pushing on the stronger side of the ring gear. It is also my understanding that a d44 isnt much stronger either but alot more money.I was thinking of doing a high line fender kit with 3-4 inch suspension lift and 1" body lift. With the biggest tires i can get away with which is probably 37"
              Correct on the first two sentences. The main difference between the two is that you are limited to 4.88 gears with the D30, but with the Rubi 44 you can get deeper gears.

If you have your mind set on 37s for whatever reason, then forget the HP D30, and I hope you have some serious cash laying around to do it right.
              [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

The reason the HP is stronger is the gears are turning correctly, that is it. the main problem with the D30 and 37s is that the daily use you use on the thing is twisting the axle shafts, therefore your spike rating is lower. Going to a hp system is not going help with those meats. Plus as stated, the D30 is limited to 4.88s, I would think with 37s you are going want to go a bit lower to get the RPM back to stock.
                censored for having an opinion

Comment

Working...
                X