Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ Vacuum Disconnect has GOT to go!!!

Hey gang...this one needs to be done fast, so I need your thoughts quick if I'm all dorked up.

Thursday, 4 September I did Holcomb in 3-wheel drive because my vacuum disconnect bailed on me. I want to go to a cable disconnect set up. I would just go solid axles, but the $$ factor is not making that an option (so far as I've looked).

This one on drivetrain.com is what I'm looking for but not sure of the source. Anyone have experience with them?

BDS Suspension has a kit called the Rock Lock, but I'm not able to track down a part number or anything else online about it. Their website wasn't any help either...but I found an article on OffRoad.com I will be calling them tomorrow, but it's Saturday and I need this fixed before the 13th.

I could have sworn that Tom had one on his rig from OX, but I could be wrong. I'm not able to find anything on a cable disconnect from OX at all.

OPTIONS?
    IDEAS?

Help?
    ~nick
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Nick,

My vacuum dis-connect took a dump long ago and I replaced with a cable set up called : "4x4Posi-Lok" and it is available from 4Wheel Parts. Fits 1987-95 YJ Wrangler. Part # 5900 $199.99
    (866) 832-2655 or www.4wheelparts.com

A cool feature is that you can run in 2wheel low!

Mitch

Comment

Mitch, that's the same one on drivetrain.com! So I assume you're very satisfied and that's awesome. Glad to hear it, I'll look into that one when 4wd.com opens up. I think I'm gonna get raped on shipping, but I NEED this installed by Thursday!!!

Thanks for the quick reply, you rock!

nick

[edit] Grrrrrrr... their "drivetrain guy" is not there until Monday. [/edit]
      Originally posted by great88 View Post
      Nick,

My vacuum dis-connect took a dump long ago and I replaced with a cable set up called : "4x4Posi-Lok" and it is available from 4Wheel Parts. Fits 1987-95 YJ Wrangler. Part # 5900 $199.99
      (866) 832-2655 or www.4wheelparts.com

A cool feature is that you can run in 2wheel low!

Mitch
      Last edited by USMC 0369; 09-06-08, 07:48 AM.

Comment

I think i have my old one in a box, ill check today, its yours if you want it, free fifty free,
        The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Originally posted by freewaydan View Post
          I think i have my old one in a box, ill check today, its yours if you want it, free fifty free,
          HOLY CRAP! If you have it, you'll at LEAST get cookies and I may pick it up today if you're available!!!

Crossing fingers, toes, legs and eyes... adrj;eslk hard aq845 to qype!!!

Comment

my XJ has a vacuum disco with a metal can, i slid the fork over then smashed the can in, that keeps it engaged..
            1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

x2 on the tin can... but the 4x4 posi werks good 2. I had the posi cable thing, but sold it tu a frioend whaen I got my detroit. you can have the frunt axle engaged all the tyme if you have the limited, it just takes a lil more gas per mile. I have the detroit auto loker up front with no disco's and I dont know the difference when Im in 2WD... so it can be locked all the tyme and its ok.
              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Jesse,

We need to talk about the limited slip locker. I'm going to go with the 30 spline Cromo axles that will eliminate the diconnect and give a little extra strengh up front. And there aren't any stock carriers in 30 spline. So a Truetrac might be the way if it doesn't give surprises at 70 mph on the hwy.

Mitch

Comment

What I understand is: the suggestion is the take the vacuum disconnect apart, jam the shift fork over to lock it constantly and either weld that in place or put something in there to keep it from disengaging? I could do that quick and easy. I have the ARB locker up front, so this shouldn't be a problem, just a couple less MPG?

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                    Jesse,

We need to talk about the limited slip locker. I'm going to go with the 30 spline Cromo axles that will eliminate the diconnect and give a little extra strengh up front. And there aren't any stock carriers in 30 spline. So a Truetrac might be the way if it doesn't give surprises at 70 mph on the hwy.

Mitch
                    i dont recomend the trutrac just go with a detroit soft locker the tru trac is ok for a little extra traction but your not locked
                    :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                      HOLY CRAP! If you have it, you'll at LEAST get cookies and I may pick it up today if you're available!!!

Crossing fingers, toes, legs and eyes... adrj;eslk hard aq845 to qype!!!
                      Sorry i could not find it, but ill keep on a lookin for it
                      The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Originally posted by freewaydan View Post
                        Sorry i could not find it, but ill keep on a lookin for it
                        Okay, thanks. I'm going with a temporary version of the "perma-fix" stated here. I would like to keep it selectable if possible in the future, but I need it fixed fast IOT lead the AAT run this Saturday!

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                          Okay, thanks. I'm going with a temporary version of the "perma-fix" stated here. I would like to keep it selectable if possible in the future, but I need it fixed fast IOT lead the AAT run this Saturday!
                          i'll see if i can find one in my garage.. if so, i'll bring it this weekend.
                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

yeah, you got the fix right... it can be as temp or perm as you want, if you have a selectable (ARB) locker in the front, I would skip the cable lock thing and replace the right side axleshaft with a 1-piece unit. the only reason you would have MPG drop is if the disconnect is connected and spinning the driveline while not in 4wd, but your ARB should be 'open' when not engaged right?
                            :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                              i'll see if i can find one in my garage.. if so, i'll bring it this weekend.
                              Man...you've donated so much to Barb's rig... She should will it to you.

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                              yeah, you got the fix right... it can be as temp or perm as you want, if you have a selectable (ARB) locker in the front, I would skip the cable lock thing and replace the right side axleshaft with a 1-piece unit. the only reason you would have MPG drop is if the disconnect is connected and spinning the driveline while not in 4wd, but your ARB should be 'open' when not engaged right?
                              I think I'm going to do a temp fix just for this weekend just to get it into 4wd instead of 3wd. But I like the idea of being able to put it into Low-2wd. I have no idea when I would use it, but I'm one of those "just in case I need it" guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X