Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cracked exhaust 4.0

today i fired up my jeep and noticed a slight exhaust leak the manifold had a small crack in it ,i heard its a comomon problem on the 4.0 so i welded it up solved the problem but i was just wondering will it crack again, what caused it to crack in the first place
    thanks in advance
    cbrazor1
    :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Originally posted by cbrazor1 View Post
    today i fired up my jeep and noticed a slight exhaust leak the manifold had a small crack in it ,i heard its a comomon problem on the 4.0 so i welded it up solved the problem but i was just wondering will it crack again, what caused it to crack in the first place
    thanks in advance
    cbrazor1
    Was the crack at the joint where the two pipes come together? It will probably crack again. I'm suprised mine hasn't cracked yet.:bolt:
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

yea ! why is that is it a flaw in the manifold just bad design,would after market headers be the answer?

Comment

yea ! why is that is it a flaw in the manifold just bad design,would after market headers be the answer?
        Well, I guess it is a flaw. I know at least 6 people that have had to get that welded back up or replaced. I think the tubing is too thin and they apply too much heat when they weld it. I welded in a patch plate last time I had my skids off, to reinforce the area. Seems to be holding... Oh :poop::bonk:
        Just cursed myself...
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

thanks , i welded it but maybe i should put in a patch plate to reinforce it and hope it holds , thanks a lot

Comment

I've already put 3 "headers" on the Jeep. It's hopeless...
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
              I've already put 3 "headers" on the Jeep. It's hopeless...
              noway really dude :bonk:

Comment

Cracked Header

The stock headers have a tendency to crack at the Y. At least on the YJ's. When mine cracked I replaced it with a Borla Header. That was 7+ years ago. Worth the money.
                George

Comment

noway really dude :bonk:
                  I should say... I'm on my 3rd one... I've only put on 2, but I'm starting to hear an exhaust leak again, so it looks like I'm about to do it again...

I took a couple pictures of the second one:
                  http://jeep.matandtiff.com/2007/07/17/round-2/

If I do it again, I might take a couple more. First time I didn't buy a fuel disconnect tool and tried forever to disconnect it using a couple screwdrivers which ended up in me ordering/overnighting a fuel rail from Carson City, NV to get the jeep running again... all for a $2 disconnect tool. If you're going to replace one, do yourself a favor and buy one of these:

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I believe the trick to welding up that manifold so it doesn't crack again is to weld the two pipes together as high as you can... weld around them where the crack and then run a fill up and over and back down in between the pipes to keep them from pulling apart.
                    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                      I believe the trick to welding up that manifold so it doesn't crack again is to weld the two pipes together as high as you can... weld around them where the crack and then run a fill up and over and back down in between the pipes to keep them from pulling apart.
                      thanks i welded it already but i think il beef it up

Comment

I heard all the 4.0's are known to crack. I know Banks Power makes a header too I was going go that route when the time came. Here's the link: http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/221/54
                        Best, Max7
                        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I have the Banks Power header. Its got a crack. I am hoping banks will replace it. Im going to run cleghorn this weekend anyway. Will running with an exhaust leak at the header do any damage? I know the fumes are toxic. But will it hurt my motor?
                          Those left standing
                          Will make millions
                          Writing books on ways
                          It should have been
                          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

just make sure that there is nothing to melt anywhere near the crack. if not, then your good to go, the leak is not going to hurt much, but keep an eye on the temp gauge as the under hood temp will be raised by the hot gasses some.

and of course it's gonna really mess up the flavor of the manifold burritos you had planned for lunch
                            :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                              and of course it's gonna really mess up the flavor of the manifold burritos you had planned for lunch
                              LOL cooked burritos this weekend on the manifold. They were fine. The local muffler shop says they will weld the sucker up for me for $60. Sounds good to me. Should I replace the header bolts after I pull it off? I think I remember hearing something about them stretching and needing to be replaced every time you pull them off?
                              Those left standing
                              Will make millions
                              Writing books on ways
                              It should have been
                              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                              X