Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Swap Issue

Hi All,

I'm changing out the 4.0L engine in a '97 TJ. The old one was diven without water in the radiator and basically burnt up.

All the instructions say to disconnect the torque converter from the flex plate when you pull the engine (auto trans), unfortunately I believe this engine is siezed and it will not rotate to save it's live (tried for 2 days to beat it free).

My question is, will I have any problems or potential issues if I take the torque converter out with the engine, still connected to the flex plate? Obviously this isn't the preferred method, but if I can't get the engine to turn, then I may have no choice.

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Originally posted by 91YJay View Post
    Hi All,

I'm changing out the 4.0L engine in a '97 TJ. The old one was diven without water in the radiator and basically burnt up.

All the instructions say to disconnect the torque converter from the flex plate when you pull the engine (auto trans), unfortunately I believe this engine is siezed and it will not rotate to save it's live (tried for 2 days to beat it free).

My question is, will I have any problems or potential issues if I take the torque converter out with the engine, still connected to the flex plate? Obviously this isn't the preferred method, but if I can't get the engine to turn, then I may have no choice.

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Jay
    It will piss a ton of fluid but that's it.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Fluid I can deal with. I've already drained the trans and dropped the pan to change the fluid and filter.

I just want to make sure I'm not going to do any dmage by pulling it out that way. I'm not even sure how I'm going to get the damn thing off once it comes out, as the engine still won't turn.

Comment

The only thing you might damage is the trans input seal or converter bushing. You need to make sure you pull the engine out fairly straight or you could bind/smear the converter bushing on the way out. It would be wise to change the trans input seal and check the seal surface on the converter while you have it out anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about the seal.
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

dude, pull the oil pan and take off the bering caps and just pull the engine with the crank in place ! :devil:
          :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

:homer:

Comment

jack up the trans. pull the grill and radiator. leave the torque converter on the crank and pull it. just take it easy.
              1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Working...
              X