Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The T999 Thread

I did a search on MJR for T999 (or Torqueflite 999, TF999, etc...) and nothing came up for me.

I have questions...

1. How dependable is this auto? I've heard it's tougher than the one I have now. Which from reading on the interweb thingy says it may be a T999.

2. Years this transmission was available, and was it a "special order" like on a Sahara or something like that?

3. Anybody got one laying around or a buddy that's using it to hold down some plastic? The YJ's tranny has gotten so bad it's becoming a safety problem.

~thanks for your time. Please educate me.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

The 999 is a great tranny. It was also called a 32RE when installed in YJ's and its a pretty common swap. It was available through the late 80s through 96 (97 they went to the 32RH).

I helped Jerry Bransford swap a 32RH in place of his AX15 in his 97 TJ. The best advise I can give is to really do your homework and have all the parts on hand when you drop the skid plate.

One commonly missed part is the front drive shaft out of an auto. It's different than the manual.

Another thing to think about is the final drive ratio of that auto is much lower than the AX15. You'll be spinning alot higher RPMS on the road.

I go on block leave here in a couple hours for 23 days and would not mind heading out your direction to give a hand for a couple days, I can write it off as "pre deployment acclimatization training".. I work for 1 coors light per hour
    Last edited by Gunnys TJ; 06-13-08, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I have a tf999 in my 79' cj. Once I got it working it has been great. I had some problems at the initial install because of some debris in a brand new tranny cooler. I was going from a stick to an auto. Had to get the tranny rebuilt twice in the first two weeks. Since then it's been reliable and no problems. It was a little tough finding the right art carr shifter for it, some said it would work and others that it wouldn't but, it all went in great. I would recommend the tranny unless you do alot of highway driving when a four speed is little nicer. The shift from third to second is kinda drastic.
      '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

Comment

Working...
      X