Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a '93 4.0 Engine

I bought a '93 4.0 engine on E-Bay that I am planning to build into a stroker motor. I already have a fresh reground 258 crank. Gotta redo a set of 258 rods and get the new block bored. I have all the equipment to rework the head but gotta take the block else where to get bored. I haven't picked out a cam yet, want something more torque oriented. Trying to find some write-ups on using later Jeep wiring harnesses in a CJ 4.0 swap. Anyone have any swap stories/problems they would like to share? I used the search but didn't get much. I have looked at the Hescoe kit but would prefer to adapt a factory wiring set-up.
    "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Find an ecm and complete wiring harness for a 4.0 out of a yj. tj or xj and then look for a wiring diagram for the particular year donor vehicle. you can generally seperate the ecm and vehicle wiring harness fairly easily. All the ecm needs from the vehicle is battery ground and power and a good ignition voltage source other than that is a fairly stand alone thing

Comment

This is an old post but here may be some help for you. If you can manage to find the only year mechanical gauge dash Jeep with the 4.0L HO motor (1991) You can literally swap the ENTIRE wiring harness into an early YJ or later CJ with NO PROBLEMS. I have done this a few times and the install comes out clean with everything working. Dash on the 91 is the only year that did not have electronic gauges in the dash so it works on CJ's. Everything from the steering column, tail lights, hard top with wiper motor, dome lights, dash lights, headlamps and 4.0L EFI works like it was made from the factory. We had to change the tail lamp plugs on the harness and a couple of minor things but it was a 100% compatible changeout.

The easy way of corse is to visit painless performance website for their simplified 4.0L HO EFI wiring harness kits. They make an OBD1 harness just to run the EFI if you have a few hundred bucks to throw at the problem....

Rick
      " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
      Rick W6RE

Comment

I've read you can use a 4cyl harness by adding 2 injector wire assemblies but I'm not sure how you add them.
        "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

Originally posted by Kman View Post
          I've read you can use a 4cyl harness by adding 2 injector wire assemblies but I'm not sure how you add them.
          You would have to figure out which pins on the ECM plug go to the injectors and run new wires from the pins to the new injector plugs.

My harness was in the kind of condition that warranted changing the wiring anyway, so I used the Hesco harness. It was easy since I had screwed up wiring anyway.
          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

if your building a stroker and you want more torque, dont stress on the cam. you probably want to use a stock cam in fact. this is with much debate, but using a comp or crane cam will usually flatten out your lobes. a stock cam is wider at the lobes and will last MUCH longer. im building a stroker myself and all i need to complete is the cam, water pump and a valve train assembly(only due to laziness and kinda being broke) my stroker is bored .020 over and im in it for the longevity and power vs just power. ive read many a builds that have went south by using aggressive or aftermarket cams. check out the stroker forum on yahoo if your interested in more debate otherwise just do some googling.
            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Working...
            X