Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil out the vent on dana 44

I drove my jeep farther on the road then I usually do and I noticed some oil had come out the vent hose on from my rear diff. It's a dana 44 from scout with a spool. I can't imagine that this is good. I don't think it was over filled but, I didn't do it my self last time so I can't say for sure. Any ideas. Thanks
    '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

come on somebody must know something about this!!!
    '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

Comment

when I got my high 9 I had oil coming out the vent line for a while, and so I was concerned with the fluid level, so I topped it off, and had more come out the line. I talked with a guy at currie on the phone, and he said it was overfilled, and when it gets hot the expansion causes a bit of a drip, and that once it goes out and cools again it should be done dripping. so I left it alone. it doesnt drip anymore and I havent burned anything up yet, so it must be ok...
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Is there a chance you have any water in the diff? But my bet is that the diff. is over filled.
        [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
        In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

I don't think there is any water. What is the right level for the oil. Mine is just below the bottom of the axle tubes. I do have an after market cover so it's quite a bit bigger then stock.

Comment

Caleb,
            If you have a stock diff cover, check the level of the oil with your pinky finger. Stick it in the fill port and bend it over at the second knuckle. If you have oil on the tip of your finger your ok. If not, it's too low and you need to add. THe vent will spit oil if the diff is overfilled, or if the diff gets hotter than normal, or when you get off camber to the driver side fairly hard. A little oil out of the vent is nothing to worry about. A lot of oil coming out continuous is a problem. I don't think you have a problem.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

my cover is after market. Although I don't know what brand. I bought the axle used and built already. Is the oil level much different with the after market cover? I checked the oil level and I can only reach the oil with the end of my middle finger. I know it was quite a bit more at one time. Maybe that was to much? I drove on it all last summer with little loss. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
              X