Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockers

ok, well first of all, I have an 01 Tj, and I am nearly finished with the serious part of the build. I live in Alabama, so not to many rocks but I am debating on whether I should lock it. I really would like to it is not really necessary for what we have around here, I mean yeah, maybe a few situations it could help, but for the most part, if they don't all spin, it doesn't matter. I would like to do it just to know that it is there, but I have absolutely NO experience with this kind of modification/upgrade so I would like to know what kind of "difficulties" can come with something like this, just so I know what to expect.

It all comes down to the type of use your going to use your Jeep for and what you can afford.

Daily drivers the factory setup is fine.

If you deal with slippy stuff, mud or snow only You want to lockup the front first. This will pull the frontend where you want to go. Locking up the rear and the jeep will push you to the low spots on a hill or push the rear around the front on flat spots.

If you deal with Hill climbing you want to lock up the rear. This puts the weight of the vehicle on both wheels, raise a rear tire and you still move forward.

Every Posi, locker or spool has its place and its problem.

Spools, cheapest of all of them
    I do not recommend for the street or general offroading. The turning radius is less than that of an open diff. And a spool is a lot harder on the axles splines when turning (no give expect the rubber on the road.

Posi, (factory or after market)
    For light duty use work fine. But the clutches and cones inside do tend to wear out. They allow the axles to slip when turning and are not as harsh as spools and Lockers on the axle splines.

Lockers,
    Differant types, Mechical and selectable
    Detroit lockers have been around for a long time, they work great, but due to the mechanical lockup they due wear on the splines of the axles.

Selectable types of lockers
    Arb makes an open diff. when not engaged (my favorite)and acts like a spool when engaged. Problem with this type is it uses air to lockup. Break a airline and its back to the basics.

Other types of selectable, eletronic both open and posi types when unlocked and when locked act like a spool.

The above is just my opinion, I have had clutch type posi, detriot, spools and Arb. If I could afford it I would have a ARB in the front of my Jeep. Right now I run a Lockrite. I love my Arb in the back of it.

My Jeep is built and being built for all around use. I play in the snow, mud, hill climb, and some times play in the rocks (I hate breaking shit)I use it for sight seeing with the wife, Try scaring the grandkids, and Hunting big Game. My Dad has called me "The U boat commander" "awant to Be a rock and ROLLER"
    [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
    In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

I have an 85 CJ7 with an OX cable selectable locker in the front and a No slip Detroit in the rear. There have been time when I wish I had the selectable locker in the rear. The Ox in front is great. I can open the diff during standard trails and get the tight turning radius when needed and lock it up on the tuff stuff. The no slip Detroit is about $150 cheaper than the OX but you won't be disappointed spending the added money.

Comment

My :2:...

If you don't really need 'em, don't spend the money. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you HAVE to have lockers, spend the money and get selectables (ARB, OX). I have ARB front and rear and it was worth every :2:...
        Carry some extra air line and splicers and even if you cut an air line, your fixed in minutes. ARB's are slightly less $$ than OX, but Ox are good as well. By the time you add the air compressor, it evens out.

Rat
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
          My :2:...

If you don't really need 'em, don't spend the money. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you HAVE to have lockers, spend the money and get selectables (ARB, OX). I have ARB front and rear and it was worth every :2:...
          Carry some extra air line and splicers and even if you cut an air line, your fixed in minutes. ARB's are slightly less $$ than OX, but Ox are good as well. By the time you add the air compressor, it evens out.

Rat
          I agree. I'm open (and poorly geared) and have run quite a few SoCal trails with ease. I don't know how "extreme" I'll ever get in my Jeep, but it goes everywhere I want to for now. If you're in the same boat, you can probably get further than you think without lockers if you have a little bit of flex. :thumbs_up
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I have a detroit in the back and a lock rite up front. It works for what I do, and the detroit doesn't have too bad of manners on the road. If I lived someplace snowy or ice the Detroit may not be ideal for the road.
            1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Working...
            X