Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanic in S.F. Valley or near!!!

Man, I'm going nutz! To smog my Jeep I took it to 3 different smog shops...getting the boot from them. So, I go visit the smog nazi himself, Mr. Referee. Actually, it was a pleasant time. My Jeep failed miserably, so today I spent the morning looking for someone who can work on it (I have more credit than time!) Two different people highly recommended this guy in Burbank. I went to visit him, NOPE. He doesn't want to touch it. I asked if he could smoke test the evap system...NOPE.

I just got off the phone with Howell Fuel Management Industries, and spoke with Troy. Cool guy. Anyhow, after being unable to pin down why my Jeep is running so damn rich, he said he is going to burn a leaner chip for my ECU, and that I might consider changing my MAP sensor, since he said they can go bad, and not throw a code.

Ok, kinda rant off, but does ANYONE know a mechanic in the San Fernando Valley that I can trust with my baby!?!? I still need to get a smoke test done, to see where my evap system is leaking.

Thanks

My leak was a rollover (checkvalve) valve that was broken.
    It is up in the fender in front of the left tail light ,it is plastic.

Also my vent line from the filler neck to the tank was cracked.
    Last edited by Davisrats; 02-26-08, 10:58 AM. Reason: added info
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Don't know if this will help with your evap problem or not.These photos are the top of the 20 gallon factory plastic tank. There are two rollover valves mounted on top of the tank. they have a replaceable rubber grommet that you can still get from Jeep. its a fairly easy job to drop the tank and replace them and all the old hoses.Its a good idea to replace the filler hose and the O-ring under the sender at the same time. If you don't have the factory 20 gallon tank then the rollover valve will be located as Davisrats described in the previous post.

84 CJ7, SOA,258 Howell TBI, T5, Dana 300/4:1,4.10s Dana 30 and ARB front, AMC20 Superior axles and ARB rear,35" MTR's

Comment

In my 79 suburban I got a 454 witch the 4x4 truck only comes orginally with a 350. No way it would pass smog. Got big carb and doug thorley headers no cat nothing. I have to pay extra to get it to pass. And it is do again in may. Last time I got it done for 130 bucks now I heard it gone up. Im in van nuys. I dont know if thats the way you want to go. or have it pass lidget. I always get sent the test only smog witch makes it more expensive.If you want a good mechanic you can try Whitney auto. right off of van nuys blvd on delano st. just north of oxnard hes into offroading got a 25k rhino tryen to sell, godd mechanic. My work is right around the corner at economy auto glass
        Last edited by justin_502; 03-21-08, 06:04 AM. Reason: typos, too early!

Comment

The way I looked at it was I put $1500 into the TBI to have my Jeep run better and have better emissions. There are cheaper alternatives, but not emissions legal. I couldn't see putting that money into a system, only to have to pay $$$ every other year to pass smog.

I passed the emissions testing with flying colors after Howell burned another chip for me. My evap leak was my filler neck, was not sealed.

Comment

Working...
          X