Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part# needed

Hey, anyone that can tell me the part # for the dip stick tube on my 74 I6, or will any I6 tube work? I broke mine this last weekend and need a new one ASAP. Valdez has become my DD when Barb needs the Ford.

anyone?

~nick
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Okay, disregard the '74 CJ5 engine part number. I got that, only problem is that my engine isn't a '74 at all. Numbers stamped between 2nd & 3rd cyl are : 511C20

Now, does anyone know a website I can use to decode that? I'd appreciate it.

Comment

I think your engine is probably an 1985 258 2 bbl (4.2L, 76-89). You can check codes here........

http://www.amcrc.com/tech/engine.html
      Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by ECV Jeep View Post
        I think your engine is probably an 1985 258 2 bbl (4.2L, 76-89). You can check codes here........

http://www.amcrc.com/tech/engine.html
        Thanks! I got that too. Good...

Okay...now I'm hunting down this part number, I come up with# 3242449 as the dip stick tube.

Dealership wants $176.99 for it. Seriously, I'm not even kidding a little bit. For just this part:
        [CENTER][/CENTER]

Sooooo... I'm looking into other options.

How about braising or welding it back together? I could dremel the end I had to chew up with the vise grips smoothe to fit into the top part.
        [CENTER][/CENTER]

Its worth a shot to me, whats the worst that could happen, it doesn't work and I've got to get a new one?
        [CENTER][/CENTER]

Until I figure something else out, the earplug is still holding:
        [CENTER][/CENTER]

~nick

Comment

Try Scotty's jeep parts in Riverside or Tri County Gear in Pomona, both have ample supply of good used parts..........or yu could go the dremel/weld method, but the ear plug has a very high "cool" factor to it.
          Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by ECV Jeep View Post
            Try Scotty's jeep parts in Riverside or Tri County Gear in Pomona, both have ample supply of good used parts..........or yu could go the dremel/weld method, but the ear plug has a very high "cool" factor to it.
            Scotty's probably has it, but I don't want to give up my arm or leg for it. Scotty's is notoriously overpriced IMO. Tri County Gear I've never dealt with, so I'll look them up if my braising idea falls through.

The ear plug rocks, just can't check my oil level very well.

Comment

Check out this site, maybe they have what you need.

http://collinsbros.stores.yahoo.net/index.html
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                Check out this site, maybe they have what you need.

http://collinsbros.stores.yahoo.net/index.html
                Collins was a bust, but thanx for linking. Today I'll find out if I can braise it or not. If that doesn't work...I'll have to save the $$ and take it in the keester I think.

Comment

Also try these guys. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/ They were a big help during my restoration with replacement parts.
                  Check out .

Comment

jeepthrillz 310.608.3250 albert www.jeepthrillz.com

13401 s alameda compton ca 90222
                    The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Hi, I broke the tube on mine and took it to a muffler shop and had their best welder fix it. Welders at muffler shops are use to welding thin tubing, might be worth a try since it's a "salvage job" now anyway.
                      Thank you for your service!
                      Respectfully,
                      LG
                      Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Have you though about using a new piece of tube and a tubing collar lightly brazed ont he outside as the tube stop? This should work really well, seal against leakage and is cheap. I did this once on an old chevy I had broken in the hills once.

Comment

Now that I remember, I also flared the end of the new tube going into the block for a tighter fit. I used steel tubing that you would normally use for transmission cooling.

Comment

I got it braised up... thanks all for everything. I have to grind a little off the bottom side of the braise so it sets flush into the block, but other than that I think this will work for a long time. I'll put $10 a month away for a new one. If it lasts for 18 months...I'm golden!

Comment

Working...
                            X