Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howell TBI

<rant on> I'm frustrated as hell! I installed the TBI, about 6 months ago. My smog is due on Thursday (procrastination sucks too). I work 6 days a week, so I only get 1 day off, so I need to make the best I can of that day. I have now tried 3 different smog stations, and not 1 will even touch my Jeep. I called the Referee, and they said that as long as I have the CARB EO# attached to the TBI, the regular Test Only stations can smog. After 2 failed attempts, they said to go to a Gold Shield Repair Station. So, I did that this morning. The guy was calling me crazy and stupid for asking him to smog my Jeep. "I want to keep my F$%$ing job...get out of here!" So, back to calling the Referee, but their offices are closed in observance of the holiday. damn <rant off>

When I bought my CJ, it had a 258 with a Howell along with the referee's sticker on the radiator cowl. I think you'll need to go through the referee station.

Why aren't you passing? Do you have the California chip? If not, I have one you can use.

Comment

Passing Smog

First make sure you have a 190-195 degree Thermostate. That was my problem when I did the conversion on my 80CJ5.
      Second If you haven't change the oil within 500 miles of the test I recommend you do so as oil is the biggest culpert for high smog readings unless it is a bad 02 sensor or someother mechinical malfunction.

Comment

It hasn't been hooked up to a smog machine yet. They are not testing it because of the "visual" aspect. I don't know how it will do in the sniffer test yet.

Yes, I do have the CA chip
        Last edited by SAR Jeeper; 02-13-08, 09:17 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
          It hasn't been hooked up to a smog machine yet. They are not testing it because of the "visual" aspect. I don't know how it will do in the sniffer test yet.

Yes, I do have the CA chip
          Are you missing some of the (visual stuff)? I have a smog guy that we deal with he is a test only station. I know when i did my conversion i had to take it to a referee station only for the official sticker
          The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Originally posted by freewaydan View Post
            Are you missing some of the (visual stuff)? I have a smog guy that we deal with he is a test only station. I know when i did my conversion i had to take it to a referee station only for the official sticker
            Hey Dan,
            Thanks for the info. I'm going Thursday next week to the Referee to see what he has to say. I'll work from there.

Comment

Ok, went to the referee. All was good on the visual. Got an ok there....tailpipe test was a different story. I blew nearly 6 X max amount of CO!!

Results were:
              CO at 15mph: 9.88% max is 1.58
              CO at 25mph: 4.78% max is 1.38

HC at 15mph: 498ppm max is 218
              HC at 25mph: 331ppm max is 132

I also failed the Fuel Evap test. This should be no biggie to fix, but I'm running richer than hell.

I need to call Howell and see whats up! The good news is the referee said I am not required to have a sticker because the kit is already C.A.R.B. approved, and he gave me a letter with a number of the regional manager in case a smog repair station has any questions.

Comment

Well,

I took the great88 in for it's smog test. A-Action Automotive in Hesperia took good care of me as always, unfortunately it did cost me some bucks. The Howell Injection has been running very rich when cold as in spitting liquid out the tail pipe (gas). Steve found that the 4 screws holding the throttle body together had come loose, thus allowing gas to flow through until the unit and engine heated up enough to expand and seal. As tested it came out as a Gross Polluter. They replaced the O2 sensor and the oily, fouled spark plugs and then re-tested. Closer but not there, they checked and then replaced the Cat-converter. The Cat was completely hollow as in burned out 100 percent. After replacing that it passed without a problem. There was not any issue with the visual inspection, and it has an open exposed side 9" x 3" round K&N with a 5/8" valve cover vent into the base. That's it, clean and simple. If you need a smog person in the High Desert please check out Steve @ A-Action Auto 760 948-2726 (Steve is a Jeeper and also Brother-in-law to TJClay).

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                  Well,

I took the great88 in for it's smog test. A-Action Automotive in Hesperia took good care of me as always, unfortunately it did cost me some bucks. The Howell Injection has been running very rich when cold as in spitting liquid out the tail pipe (gas). Steve found that the 4 screws holding the throttle body together had come loose, thus allowing gas to flow through until the unit and engine heated up enough to expand and seal. As tested it came out as a Gross Polluter. They replaced the O2 sensor and the oily, fouled spark plugs and then re-tested. Closer but not there, they checked and then replaced the Cat-converter. The Cat was completely hollow as in burned out 100 percent. After replacing that it passed without a problem. There was not any issue with the visual inspection, and it has an open exposed side 9" x 3" round K&N with a 5/8" valve cover vent into the base. That's it, clean and simple. If you need a smog person in the High Desert please check out Steve @ A-Action Auto 760 948-2726 (Steve is a Jeeper and also Brother-in-law to TJClay).
                  Thanks for reply. I spoke with Howell, and they sent me a new chip that will lean it out. Before I got the chip, I took my Jeep to a guy near me...SmogMasters. Anyhow, he hooked it up on the computer, and ran it. My CO2 was like 9.8% at referee and he recorded a .12% and max is 1.38%...way below. He didn't understand why, so he made some phone calls. Well, as I understand, the smog test must be performed in 2nd and 3rd gears. Since I have 35" tires, and haven't re-geared yet, my motor was bogging. As he explained that the MAP sensor wasn't seeing enough vacuum, so it was telling the computer to spit more gas...thus the rich condition. His solution was re-gear or put stock tires on.

I'm buying breakfast for a friend tomorrow, who has some 30" tires on rims from one of his old CJ's. I'm going to borrow those rims and tires for the smog check. IF that doesn't do it, then I'll just throw in the leaner chip and see what happens.

I had also failed the evap test. My BRAND NEW filler neck was not sealed. Where the two metal pieces come together, it had like 3 stitch welds, FAR from sealing. He sealed it up for me. So I should be good to go for that.

Comment

Working...
                  X