Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Quick lock

My quick lock just started making alot of noise when I turned left. It is in the rear of my 97 TJ. It was only about 7 months old. It had alot of 4x4 miles and not alot of street miles. Has anyone else had similar experience with theirs. 4 Wheel parts has already given me a new one. Is it worth putting in or is it only going to last 6 months again?
    456's 2 lockers 4 disc brakes 8.8 lots of skid plates

is this the detroit version of the "lunchbox" locker?
    if it is... those are notorious for having problems. if you want to go the "lunchbox" route, i recommend the powertrax versions, which are the lock right, and no slip lockers. i have had no problems with mine.... chuck wrecked his in the dana 35, but i think the weak 35 shaft was a contributing factor in his failing.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

i just looked it up on the net... is it the "genuine gear" version? i dont have any first hand knowledge on that one, but i have heard to steer away from their products, overall. i'd sell it on ebay, and get the lockright or aussie locker. heard good things about that one too.
      ERIK

Comment

yes it is the genuine gear brand. I am going to throw it in and start looking for a dana 44 upgrade. Then I will put a good locker in. If this one breaks mean while I will get a new one. It did not break down,just quit locking on one side. I think it is JUNK, but for $200 what Should I expect.

Comment

Quick Lock

The Genuine Gear Quick Lock is the old Detroit E-Z Locker- just re-named. I bought mine (a quick lock) from 4-wheel parts in May '02, and it even came in the E-Z Locker package! Mine was making noise as well. I recently replaced the cross-shaft with a hardened one and it now works great. BTW the new cross shaft is the Powertrax unit and that is the big difference. Powertrax lockers come with a hardened cross shaft- EZ lockers/Quick locks re-use the stock unit. Anyhow, my advice is to get a new cross shaft before installing the locker. Over time the stock shaft wears notches were it is in contact with the locker, eventually allowing the locker to slip. The hardened shaft resists this notching and keeps the locker functioning properly longer.
          It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
          and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Re: Quick Lock

Originally posted by king4wd
            The Genuine Gear Quick Lock is the old Detroit E-Z Locker- just re-named. I bought mine (a quick lock) from 4-wheel parts in May '02, and it even came in the E-Z Locker package! Mine was making noise as well. I recently replaced the cross-shaft with a hardened one and it now works great. BTW the new cross shaft is the Powertrax unit and that is the big difference. Powertrax lockers come with a hardened cross shaft- EZ lockers/Quick locks re-use the stock unit. Anyhow, my advice is to get a new cross shaft before installing the locker. Over time the stock shaft wears notches were it is in contact with the locker, eventually allowing the locker to slip. The hardened shaft resists this notching and keeps the locker functioning properly longer.
            Tom,
            I will try the hardened cross shaft, as mine was showing slight wear.
            Did 4 wheel parts supply the shaft?

Comment

No, 4WDParts did not supply the shaft. I got it from www.drivetrain.com an outfit in Vegas. The shaft was the "Zytanium" steel alloy unit used by Powertrax and it was barely over $20 after shipping and everything. My cross shaft was pretty well notched and the new one worked great at Panamint.
              It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
              and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                chuck wrecked his in the dana 35, but i think the weak 35 shaft was a contributing factor in his failing.
                yup the quick lok is genuine gear's version of the Detriot EZ Locker

actually, sarah trashed a used one in her D35, and I trashed a new-ish one in my D-44. Like was mentioned, my cross-shaft had developed huge dents/notches in it that allowed the locker to slip when it shouldn't have. I pulled it and 4WP replaced it under warranty with no questions. The guy behind the counter even said "yeah, these do that a lot" I also installed the zytanium shaft when I re-installed the replacement locker.

if I had to do it again, i'd save the money for a detroit full-case locker and installation and not worry about it. that being said, the EZ locker/quick-lok is a great item if it isn't abused and if you use it with the Zytanium cross-shaft.

Comment

Thanks, Drive Train .com is back ordered until
                  around christmas on the cross shaft. I think I wil put it together and change out shaft when they come in.
                  T
                  Last edited by tjTerry; 12-07-03, 07:50 AM.

Comment

I have been fixed and on the road for a couple of weeks now. It seems to be working fine and no noises. No cost to repair, just a couple of hours and a 4x trip cut short. I do not have alot of faith this unit will last long. I have found a deal on a 44 with a new locker and low gears. Soon I hope to own it
                    T

Comment

Cool Terry!

OH! The place I was telling you about that did nice gear installs was All 4 Wheel Drive in Corona, the guys name is John, I believe.
                      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

jim at www.jcfabanddesign.com also does gears now as well
                        ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                          jim at www.jcfabanddesign.com also does gears now as well
                          I did not know they do gears and lockers. I pass their shop daily on the way to work and back. I will stop and check them out.
                          Thanks
                          T

Comment

Working...
                          X