Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• regearing?

i have a 1995 wrangler with 31x10.50x15 tires with a 4 inch lift and a 5 speed. the stock gearing doesnt work to well , especially on the highway.hi speeds in 5th gear is a dog. im not sure but i think stock gearing is 3.21?
    does anyone have an idea as to what gears would work? also what other axles with interchange with my 1995 wrangler? what year axles could i use?

thanks for all replies in advance..

is yer jeep a 4.0 or a 4 banger? that makes a big difference... what size tires do you want to have next because you should build for the tire size you ultimately want.

as far as axles, the stock d30 up front will do you fine up to 35" tires if you build it just a little. the axle out back is either a D35, or a D44... does it have an smooth oval shaped cover or does it kinda have corners?
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by THEGAME304 View Post
      i have a 1995 wrangler with 31x10.50x15 tires with a 4 inch lift and a 5 speed. the stock gearing doesnt work to well , especially on the highway.hi speeds in 5th gear is a dog. im not sure but i think stock gearing is 3.21?
      does anyone have an idea as to what gears would work? also what other axles with interchange with my 1995 wrangler? what year axles could i use?

thanks for all replies in advance..

This is the kind of guide you need to figure out what gear ratio you want. It depends on what you're looking for; torque, fuel economy (Jeep, yeah right) street handling, etc. Match the tire size to the gear ratio you have now to see where you are in terms of engine RPM and then decide what tire size you're going to use, then figure out where you want to run engine RPM's on the highway. The higher the ratio number, the more low end pull you'll have for rock crawling and such, but the RPMs will be high (3000 or better) at 60 mph on the highway. Fuel economy goes to s__t with the higher ratios, and every choice has some trade offs, but if you know what you're looking for ahead of time you can choose a ratio that you can be comfortable with. I run 35-12.5-15 tires with 4.88 gears. Top speed on the highway is 65 mph, keeping in mind I don't like revving the ponies much over 3200 RPM. It will go faster, I just don't push it unless needed. And remember that every change you make from stock, is going to affect some other system that hasn't been modified, so be ready for lots of new experiences.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

it has a 2.5. its already raised 4 inches with 31x10.50x15 the biggest tires that i would consider upgrading to would be 35's{later of course}. i was just thinking about other axle interchangealility, being where im at jeep parts are easy to locate and i have a shop to do all the work.is there better axles to swap to? i raised the tire size from stock {235x75rx15 to 31x10.50x15} i just need a good all around gear so i can run 70-75mph on the highway in 5th gear. i cant even use 5th now >>>boggs down to much.

the rear housing is oval shape,10 bolt pattern. it has a steel tag on it and it has 411. is that the gear ratio? thanks for your replies.......

here are the numbers on the tag>>> 6206 8832 411 5061
        Last edited by THEGAME304; 02-08-08, 12:07 PM. Reason: update

Comment

it has a 2.5. its already raised 4 inches with 31x10.50x15 the biggest tires that i would consider upgrading to would be 35's{later of course}. i was just thinking about other axle interchangealility, being where im at jeep parts are easy to locate and i have a shop to do all the work.is there better axles to swap to? i raised the tire size from stock {235x75rx15 to 31x10.50x15} i just need a good all around gear so i can run 70-75mph on the highway in 5th gear. i cant even use 5th now >>>boggs down to much.

the rear housing is oval shape,10 bolt pattern. it has a steel tag on it and it has 411. is that the gear ratio? thanks for your replies.......

here are the numbers on the tag>>> 6206 8832 411 5061
          The way I read this, your asking two questions here. First you want to know what gears to use with your tire size, and second, if you should change axles. By that you mean the entire axle housing. If the diff cover is oval on the rear it's probably a D35, so get ready cuz you're gonna get an earful on how :poop:ty they are. There are a bunch of threads on here about D35 axles, so do a search and read some before you spend any money. As for the gearing, if your planning to change out the axles, make a choice then build your combo for that axle. Otherwise, the chart I posted earlier is a good tool to figure out what gears to run with what you have now. As for the tag on the diff, it may be the gear ratio, but do you know the history of the Jeep enough to know the gearing hasn't already been changed before?
          You didn't think this was going to cut and dry, did you?

Comment

if the d35 is trash axles, then what are the good ones to get? money isnt the problem, i just wanna be able to run above 70mph in 5th gear. also, im almost positive that the axles have not been changed. will dana 44 from a cj5 or 7 bolt into my 1995 wrangler? or if i stay with what i have, will 488 or 456 gears work ok with my setup?

Comment

if the d35 is trash axles, then what are the good ones to get? money isnt the problem, i just wanna be able to run above 70mph in 5th gear. also, im almost positive that the axles have not been changed. will dana 44 from a cj5 or 7 bolt into my 1995 wrangler? or if i stay with what i have, will 488 or 456 gears work ok with my setup?
              Well, first off, the axle isn't whats keeping you from going faster, it's the gear combo. The same size ring and pinion installed in a D30, D35, D44 will get the same results. if you are more worried about top end speed on the highway, sounds like your Jeep spends more time on the pavement than the rocks, so that D35 might just be enough for you. And there are some folks here and about that run a D35 either with mods or stock that seem to do just fine on the trails. I myself have never experienced the thrill of the D35 going away on me on the trail so I can't really speak to the validity of the weakness of the D35, but there is enough documentation just on this forum to make me beleive it is not a good rear end to keep if you have the $$$ to upgrade. So, if cash ain't a problem for you, a D44 could be the most cost effective upgrade. There are places online that sell complete D44 rears ready to go in with minimal work. 4 wheel parts has them for around $2600.00 built with ARB locker, your choice of ring and pinion, Alloy USA cromo axles, etc. Or you buy a junk yard one, although from what I read they are getting a little harder to find, but not impossible. Then build your own axle. So, do you spend a lot of time off road? Rock climbing or extreme stuff?
              As for the ring and pinion for the D35, I think someone else should chime in here. I think the D35 is limited in ring gear size unless you change the carrier, but I'm not sure. If it takes a 4.88 gear, and you don't do crazy stuff off road, the D35 will probably last you a while.

Decisions, decisions...

Comment

I don't want to pi$$ in yer cheerio's dude, but your not going to get much freeway speed outta the 4-banger. You can throw 4.56 or 4.88's in them axles ... and you will prolly get yer 5th gear back, but you got to do both front and rear and that is gonna be some scratch. Money not being an issue, you would do well to do as Rat suggested, they have front and rear D44 axles for sale now, its almost a bolt in business, and you can get them with the 4.88's that will give your 4-banger some minerals. and you will get the use of yer 5th gear back. having said that, the 4.88's will have your engine going higher RPM's per MPH...
                :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Working...
                X