• dop a gas tank...?

anyone every drop a tank on a yj?
    any tips pointers?
    i think my has a hole in it
    i smell gas after a long trip
    comming from the rearend

thanks
    goner-

fill the tank way up, then look at the 2 line from the filler, the vent, feed, and return lines on the top of the tank before you drop it. Look for any wetness.
    the tank is not too bad to drop, remove the lines and the the bolts that hold the skid to the frame. the tank is easy to deal with empty.
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

TIP #1) Empty the tank prior to removal.
      I've been told I have rocks in my head.

Comment

it's an easy job, but you might talk to the stealership first, there have been recalls on the gas tanks in the past... due to leaks on the gasket on top of the tank.
        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Paul B View Post
          TIP #1) Empty the tank prior to removal.
          TIP #2) Then empty it some more before dropping it. When you think it's empty, it's still not.

I need to drop mine too soon, I smelled gas all day at my last Calico run.
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I just replaced my gas cap because I kept smelling gas around the rear of my Jeep, and then noticed a tiny bit of gas leaking around the gas cap gasket on trail runs when the gas level was high. 2 cents worth

Comment

Dropping the gas tank is not difficult, gravity helps a lot. When reinstalling be careful not to trap or pinch any of the vent lines.
              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Leak

gonejeep
                A few years ago I smelled gas just after filling the tank when I was on an incline. Turned out to be gasket around signal on top of tank.
                http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/ga...p?i=3555&c=500
                Might be your problem also.

Comment

Dropping the gas tank aint hard. I did it with a '97 TJ and it was a cinch
                  WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
                  [_____]
                  (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                  []--o---[]

Comment

dop a gas tank...?

the roads were a bit icy i while driving i was turning the corner and the rear end came around and swung into someones yard that happen to have big rocks and it went underneath my auxiliary gas tanks and dented it in. haven't detected any leaks i was just wondering if it still okay or should i need looking for a new tank.any help and apology for this one.

Comment

I dropped one out of a tj and just a couple weeks ago I helped Red Baron drop his out of his yj . Both times I used my hydraulic table. It was easy even with 3/4 tank of gas. If you need a hand with it and want to take a drive bring it down and I will give you a hand. It will take about an hour to get it out and back in then we could go wheeling after.
                      It's not leaking it's marking its territory.

Comment

If it's dented but not leaking, and not smelling - leave it. It's easier and safer. I once had a collapsed tank in a Chevy truck. It didn't leak, so I put a Schrader valve in a non-vented gas cap and hit it with 120psi compressed air. POOG! - Hey look! I got a new tank!
                        God forgives, rocks don't
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by gonejeep View Post
                          anyone every drop a tank on a yj?
                          any tips pointers?
                          i think my has a hole in it
                          i smell gas after a long trip
                          comming from the rearend

thanks
                          goner-
                          [COLOR="sienna"] I'm guessing you have the 20gal plastic tank? My friend Herve and I have dropped his 91 YJ's tank no less than 4 times in the last month. It's very difficult to see the top of the tank with it still bolted up, but Davisrats is right, check your fill lines first.
                          If you must drop the tank...for the love of Pete, drain it first. I use a little electric fuel pump and syphon hose to pump the gas out, but however you have to, do it. It makes handling the tank so much easier. Also, there are two retaining strap bolts (I believe it's the 2nd one in from each side) that you don't need to unbolt. They just hold the tank to the skid.
                          I wish you luck that your tank isn't cracked, Craigslist doesn't have many of them that I've seen. And the stealership...well...[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                          X