Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea, another gearing question...

I have an 06 Rubi LJ, auto, 33/12.50 MT MTZs. Im either going to go with 4.56s or 4.88s. How I see it, the "56s" should put me back to stock gearing,(4.11s with 31" tires). Im thinking the "88s" would pull this overweight TJ a little better,(hard top, auto, winch soon). I think 200 RPM more at the same speed compared to stock would be a good thing. Is this the approx. diff. between the 4.56s and 4.88s? Thankyou.
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

I'm not sure if the 200 rpm is accurate, but it sounds about right, there are online calculators that can give you a number. I run 285/75/16 (33 x 11.5) mtr's on an '03 auto rubi with 4.88's and am very pleased with the gearing, not to mention I could jump to 35's and not have to touch the gears again. It did take a bit of getting used to the gear whine, but they mellowed after the break-in period. Make sure to follow the break-in instructions for your new gears. I ran mine on a few short non-highway break-in drives (10-15 mins) to get them to heat up a couple of times, then slowly moved up to highway speeds. After 500 miles I had the diffs drained, flushed and new fluid put in, haven't looked back since. Search the jeep forums and you'll find most folks do about the same to break-in new gears. Best of luck.

Comment

How are those 4.88's with 33" on the highway?

Comment

im running 4.88s and 34s on the highway its great im runnin about 3000 rpms at 75 mph in 5th gear , runnin up the cajon pass no prob plenty of power, and on the trail in 4 lo much better
        :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Comment

right now I hate my 33s and 48s.......but just picked up my 35 inch MTRs so that should be a different story. Plus my front end vibrations are killing me!

but man I tell ya 48s and a 4:1. ssssaaawweeeeeeettt!
          [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
          X