Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smog that sucker!

Just had to git the 91' YJ smogged... the state of CA has a new "evap test" that is gonna cost anyone who ownes a vehicle from 86-96 about another $100- to pass smog. its a load of :poop: !

The gist is they hook up this :poop: machine to the gas tank fill instead of the gas cap and "pressurize the tank" and then time out the "vaccume leaks" or some other :mad: thing....

I am tryin' to let everyone know because unless you have a good smog guy you are gonna get screwed. There is no freakin' way your 86' whatever-J jeep does not have an "evap leak"...

The best thing I can think of is to somehow block the fill tube and vent line so that the system doesn't leak like its been hit with buckshot. I mean the plastic tanks have friggin' vents right on the top of them! and if your stealership won't do the recall work to fix the fuel pump gasket on the top of the tank because you put in a Genright or other tank slider you are :thumbs_down:

Just my :2:
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Thank goodness I registered in Michigan when I did!!!
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

California websites Video
      on the test.

There are 3 video's

I hope this helps.
      ;-)
      [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
      In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Thanks for the tip. The videos helped. Next time I drop my I'll run a new line (or plug the holes at the tank).
        I've been told I have rocks in my head.

Comment

i just smogged my jeep with more after market junk than you can shake a stick at, and it passed just fine. test only station too.

once we got past the york, the power steering reservoir, the fox shocks, and the other crap he didnt recognize, we were into the test.
          no problemo
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

it took me quite a while to pass smog. with all the regs in california, its easier and cheaper to...know a mechanic, who has a buddy, who knows some

Comment

Usually the smog station spends more time asking about the OBA and welder than smogging the YJ.

Of course, this will be the first year with 37's, so we'll see. Erick - do you do yours locally (recommedation?)
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                Usually the smog station spends more time asking about the OBA and welder than smogging the YJ.

Of course, this will be the first year with 37's, so we'll see. Erick - do you do yours locally (recommedation?)
                i have taken mine to the test only station:
                Bellflower Smog
                9250 E Artesia 90706
                562-461-0520

for the past few years. it seems to always pass.
                they'll ask about all of the add ons, and as long as you have a legal air filter, and the charcoal junk, you'll just have to deal with the sniffer.
                sometimes they will not do it on the dyno. the big tires scare them
                $49.95 for the whole mess.
                ERIK

Comment

I wish I had posted B4 I did my smog and asked around for a smog guy

but I did not know about the evap crap and had no reason to think I wouldn't pass with flying colors.

The only prob. I had WAS the evap :poop:

Comment

try it with a v-6 swap. Talk about lots of questions. EVAP=CRAP
                    The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                      sometimes they will not do it on the dyno. the big tires scare them
                      I had to dyno mine last time. I forgot to air my tires back up. It hopped all over the place. The guy told me I needed to put smaller tires on. I talked him into letting me air up (35psi) worked great.
                      [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                      In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Originally posted by freewaydan View Post
                        try it with a v-6 swap. Talk about lots of questions. EVAP=CRAP
                        I was thinking the same thing. Going to the referee is a whole different experience.
                        Check out .

Comment

Ok you guys are scaring me. I got my jeep from my Uncle who lived in Az and now have to deal with the DMV on registering an out of state vehicle. I have a '00 TJ. What should I look for as gotchas?

Comment

Originally posted by Buggs View Post
                            Ok you guys are scaring me. I got my jeep from my Uncle who lived in Az and now have to deal with the DMV on registering an out of state vehicle. I have a '00 TJ. What should I look for as gotchas?
                            your best bet is to smog it off of the computer to see if it will pass. then pay again for the smog that will go to Sacramento.
                            ERIK

Comment

absolutely go to a smog guy that will pre-test, speaks a language you can understand, and is reccommended by somebody you can trust.

otherwise you are gonna pay for it.. :2:

Comment

Working...
                              X