Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man am I depressed......

Seems like everytime I try to do something to my Jeep it turns to s@*%'t.

What could go wrong with replacing the gasket in my rear differential cover? (AMC) I put in a new gasket, and it is leaking worse, in fact the gear oil is flowing out like there is no gasket!

Well, I guess I'll try again Friday. Working on my old jeep is supposed to be therapy from my stressful job!

Thanks for listening to me vent
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

first, buy a new cover. Second, dont use a gasket. Just put a nice layer of silicone the there and slap it on. I guess thirdly, don't crank down on the bolts. Too tight and the cover distorts and you got leaks.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

yeah the torque values on those bolts are low, and 2X on the gasket maker rather than the gasket...

but one more thing... take yer time. I know this sounds crazy, but I have found myself working on the jeep as if I gotta get it done RIGHT NOW and that's just not the case. Werking on the jeep is part of the hobby, it should be enjoyable, so do whatever you can to set aside enough time to enjoy it.

jest my :2:
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

If your flange on your diff cover is not straight, you can fill the gaps with the silicone already mentioned. Put a bead on both the diff cover and the diff itself, let it set up for an hour (during which time you go cool down with an adult beverage of your choice), then put the cover back on and tighten down to torque specs. Let dry completely(overnight) and trim the excess off for a neat, finished look. Tip: When using silicone, make sure you wipe out all the residual gear oil with a rag prior to applying the sealant. If any gear oil runs down into the silicone while its curing it will cause a leak. Once the cover is on and the silicone has set for an hour you can refill the diff.

Kurt
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Hey you guys are great, thank you very much. I feel better already.

Just one thing though, well two things:
          1. When you say silicone, are you referring to the clear silicone or are you talking about one of the RTV products?

2. The adult beverage, you guys will back me up when I tell my wife it is part of the repair??? ;^)

And thanks Kodiak Spirit for putting back into perspective....
          MJR moderator
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

I just use RTV black.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
              yeah the torque values on those bolts are low, and 2X on the gasket maker rather than the gasket...

but one more thing... take yer time. I know this sounds crazy, but I have found myself working on the jeep as if I gotta get it done RIGHT NOW and that's just not the case. Werking on the jeep is part of the hobby, it should be enjoyable, so do whatever you can to set aside enough time to enjoy it.

jest my :2:
              Right on, Kodiak! Sure it can be a pain to figure why your mechanical device doesn't work the way that you expected it to. But, like Kodiak-if I am rushed to get something done I usually 1/2 ass the job and have to do it a second time.
              It sounds like you are just getting into the Jeep-thing. These vehicles require alot of TLC from their owners in order to put up with the abuse that we subject them to. Once you begin to enjoy the grease and oil on your hands, you then begin to realize that you want to learn more and maybe even take on newer, bigger and more complex Jeep projects.
              Money pit!

Comment

Hey Gents,

I wanted to say thanks for the encouragment. I took the day off from work and followed your great advice and repaired my diff leak. I also fixed a small leak in my transfer case. Oh ya, I also installed the Rugged Ridge seat covers my wife got me for Christmas.

Thanks again, you guys are great!
                MJR moderator
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Good to hear! see you on the trail sometime!
                  :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Roger,
                    Glad to hear you got it all taken care of. Now it's time to test your work!
                    BTW, don't forget to go back and check the diff cover bolts for tightness. They tend to loosen up after a while from shrinkage of the sealer/vibration. It's normal.
                    Kurt
                    Last edited by RAT; 12-31-07, 11:42 AM.
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

And just remember, There's nothing a BIG hammer can't fix. At least it gets rid of the frustration, Kevin.

Comment

I went on the Starbright/Black Canyon Run with no problems. The run was 80 miles long and about 80 miles round trip getting there and back. I now do a "walk around" every time I drive the Jeep - Even if it's just to the market for the wifey.

It's great to have you all that are way smarter than me offer advice & suggestions, thank you all very much! I'm sure learnig alot, with a long way to go!
                        MJR moderator
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

just a thought and reminder...always check the lug nuts after a run. Especially if the tires were r/r before the run. Too many of us are learning this the hard way.
                          C U out there....
                          "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                          (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob View Post
                            just a thought and reminder...always check the lug nuts after a run. Especially if the tires were r/r before the run. Too many of us are learning this the hard way.
                            C U out there....
                            Hey BobO! Long time no talk! I check my lugs after EVERY run. Especially after the M&G last year when somebody lost a wheel on the way down from BB. Luckily they were fine and their rig was fine.

On the last couple runs some of the other Jeepers have had puzzled looks and ask me if I've ever had a problem with loose lugs. Fortunately I have not had any "problems" from loose lugs because I do check them every time. On a couple runs I have noticed one or two lug nuts that I get a half turn on. If I did 2 or 3 runs without tire rotations or checking the lug nuts they'd be 1-1/2 turns at which point the lug would probably start to spin off freely.

To me it's worth the 5 minutes of my time to go around w/ the torque wrench which I keep handy to keep myself and my passengers safe off the trail too!
                            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                              BTW, don't forget to go back and check the diff cover bolts for tightness. They tend to loosen up after a while from shrinkage of the sealer/vibration. It's normal.
                              Kurt
                              hmmm...thanks for the tip rat...was wondering why mine are seeping more now than before, could either be this or the incredible abuse i put them through though i suspect the former.
                              03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Working...
                              X