Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vibration and a grinding nose

alot of you guys have wrenched on your jeeps so i was wondering if you knew what was causeing this horible vibration that seems to be comeing from the front right side and from the middle near the stick its like my car is shuttering when i take off or accelerate and then i hear a Quick knocking sound when i turn under power. when i come to a stop i hear a chrunching noise as far as handleing goes nothing has changed i dont really hear it when i am in 4 wheel drive or 4 wheel low.

what should i do

could be a lot of things...

blown up u-joint in the pass side front axle maybe?
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

yeah, you should really make a close inspection of all driveline parts to fine the 'sploded parts, or loose splined driveshaft, maybe a seperated tranny mount... do ya have the vaccume disconnect? maybe trash in dere...
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

u joints are fine and from a visual inspecton i dont see any thing that could be broken.

i see oil on the transmission and my drive shaft doesnt seem to be straight

im just going to take it down to four wheel parts and have them look at it. hope its nothing major

Comment

Originally posted by dexter jackson View Post
          u joints are fine and from a visual inspecton i dont see any thing that could be broken.

i see oil on the transmission and my drive shaft doesnt seem to be straight

im just going to take it down to four wheel parts and have them look at it. hope its nothing major
          "and my drive shaft doesnt seem to be straight"
          THis would be a good place to start--they need to be straight.

What are you banging the D-shaft on?
          Money pit!

Comment

Check the little tabs on the side of your D-shaft yoke,it holds the ujoint in.If its missing then change the yoke ASAP.Or you will destroy something else like your transfer case.

Comment

I hasving almost the same prob with my jeep I have a 94 jeep cherokee with a 4.0 and lately its been making a grinding/rattling noise but only when Im at a stop in drive and I take off hard thae noise only lasts for a couple seconds but man its drivin me crazy does anyone know what the heck it could be?

Comment

hey jeep creeper your problem sounds like what i had on my tj. sitting at a light, or just idleing i would have this terrible rattle going on, and when i accelerated too, once at speed it wasnt soo bad, or maybe i just couldent hear it. turned out to be the insides of my cat rattleing around and the muffler banging against a exhaust mount. us there a more specific area its coming from, or you just hear it all around.

Comment

I had a grinding noise that I thought was a rock in the brake. It only did it when I first started from a stop or when braking. Took it to Jeep dealership and they found out that the front drive shaft was failing internally. They replaced the drive shaft and the noise went away.
                  Dennis
                  04 TJ
                  4.0/Auto
                  RE 4.5 Long Arm
                  Rock-It Man Rockers
                  33x12.50 BFG A/T
                  desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

Comment

Working...
                  X