Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roger View Post
    Can a T-4 Transmission by removed and a T-5 installed without any modifications or adapters?
    Yes, they are the same transmission with the exception that the tailhousing on the T-5 contains 5th gear.

I have a T-4 and I'm thinking of Installing a T-5 for better hwy running. Any thoughts or info??
    How much do you plan to wheel this thing, and in what way? What size tires do you run? Do you have or plan to install 4:1 tcase gears?

If you plan to use it even moderately hard, I'd look into other options. You can only polish a turd for so long, then you need to move away from the aluminum Borg-Warner junk that is the T-4/5... I went through three T-5's before giving up. Now I have an automatic, but I trailer my rig. If I would have put a 5 speed in it, I'd have done an AX-15. Relatively simple swap, all you need is to upgrade to a hydraulic clutch (a welcome addition anyway).
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
      Deadmeat,

Could the change in gas mileage be because your odometer wouldn't be recording the same because of the bigger tire diameter? Just a thought.
      Roger,
      That was SAR that wrote that, but without re-gearing it wound surprise me. I just went from 31" to 33", and noticed a pretty big change in the power on the hwy.

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
        I checked my mileage and speed via GPS that I mount on my dash. I told my insurance company I would only be driving about 500 miles a year, so I disconnect my speedo after I reach those 500 miles.
        To save the trouble of no speedo, you can always take your odometer apart and set your own mileage

Comment

Working...
        X