Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snapped motor mount bolt!

is this a big deal?? should I have it fixed ASAP or not? its the bolt going into the block

I would say its probably one of those things you want to fix fairly soon...
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Like before you drive it again soon. Otherwise, you'll be posting asking about replacement fan shrouds, radiator cores, etc....

Can you get to it with a drill motor?
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY
      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
        Like before you drive it again soon. Otherwise, you'll be posting asking about replacement fan shrouds, radiator cores, etc....

Ohhhh yeahhhhhh
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

well taken fellas. I gotta get it smogged on wed. Ill have the mech take care of it. as I said before my mech. skills are pretty limited, thanks.

Comment

We can (and should) help you with those "pretty limited" mechanical skills. Unless you're independantly wealthy, a Jeep isn't something you want to be taking to a mechanic every time a bolt gets stripped
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
              We can (and should) help you with those "pretty limited" mechanical skills. Unless you're independantly wealthy, a Jeep isn't something you want to be taking to a mechanic every time a bolt gets stripped
              Then youll be spending A LOT of time at the mechanics
              |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Well, I guess the mechanics gotta eat too
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY

Comment

I can do minor stuff but with no garage and just a handful of tools I figure my nerves and sanity are worth a few bucks.after the mount gets fixed thats it for a while...

Comment

You'd be amazed what you can do with a "handful of tools" and "no garage" (in fact - it's the best way to practice for trail fixes)
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY

Comment

I'm not much of a mechanic either but if you have a CJ they are pretty easy to work on. Other than the smog crap, they are still pretty much WWII technology! I'd rather try to fix a broken jeep way out Camp Rock Road than try to fix a Hummer or a Chevy truck out there!
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                        I'm not much of a mechanic either but if you have a CJ they are pretty easy to work on. Other than the smog crap, they are still pretty much WWII technology! I'd rather try to fix a broken jeep way out Camp Rock Road than try to fix a Hummer or a Chevy truck out there!
                        I'd rather try to fix a broken jeep way out at Camp Rock Road than try to fix a Hummer or Chevy truck in a garage with tools and a 4-point lift. :thumbs_up
                        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I dream about fixing jeeps out on the trail, its so much nicer than going to work or sitting in traffic... ahh, to be on the trail broke, nothing to do, no worries, no schedules... maybe some cold beer and friends giving me crap... good times.
                          :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                            I dream about fixing jeeps out on the trail, its so much nicer than going to work or sitting in traffic... ahh, to be on the trail broke, nothing to do, no worries, no schedules... maybe some cold beer and friends giving me crap... good times.

Well, I don't know about all that, but I'd definitely be there to give you crap...
                            Trail fixin' tools: Rolls of racer's tape, bags of zip ties, BFH, BFSD, Bandaids.... Oh yeah, bailing wire.
                            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Jr. Bonner View Post
                              I can do minor stuff but with no garage and just a handful of tools I figure my nerves and sanity are worth a few bucks.after the mount gets fixed thats it for a while...
                              I recently sheared all three of the bolts on one of my motor mounts. This is REALLY bad. If you sheared one bolt, you should consider replacing all three of them. They are not expensive.

Also, I used a hand drill and a cobalt bit to remove the sheared bolts. Once you have a hole in the bolt, you will need a rigid screw extractor to get the sheared off part out.

All together, the bit and extractor were less than $15 at ACE hardware. The replacement bolts were less than a buck a piece.
                              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                              [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X