Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle overkill question

Was considering putting D44's under my TJ till a friend suggested 60/60 or 44/60 combination. I run 35's and will be ARB locked, I want to have a strong rig and not worry about pushing the limit and parts breaking off every time, what do you think are 60's too much? (oh and I know that price is a major choice selection but I was looking more at the performance comparison).

Do you really wanna run full widths? Theres no reason why D44s with chromoly shafts cant handle 35s and an ARB.

There are many MANY axle choices and combos you could go D60 F&R, D60 / GM 14 bolt, D44 / Ford 9... you just have to search around and find what you think would be the best suited in your application.

From what ive seen, there are only maybe 2 or 3 front D60s that you even want and theyre a lot of work to put in...
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I have heard and seen from a number of folks that the 60/60 combo is pretty great. However, the 44 offers greater ground clearance. I have seen some very nice front 44s. Built with Moser 35 spline shafts and dana 60 knuckles. In essence, with the exception of the ring and pinion you have a 60 in a 44 housing. Seems like a nice set-up for the front, and I would like one.

That being said, I run a beefed up dana 30 up front on 35s with a detroit locker....and I have yet to break it. I have run most all of the Hammers (new trail excluded) and many other spots. Slow and gentle will save much breakage.

Cost is a big factor in what you choose. If you only run extreme trails occasionally, a well built axle and a set of pre-assembled spare shafts might be the way to go.

I am sure you will get some informative posts on this topic from folks at MJR.
      Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

If you're easy on the stupid pedal then a built HP D30/D44 combo will work just fine. Been running JV for about 3 years on a D30/D44 combo with only a broken hub and one u-joint in the front. I broke the rear ARB on the last run of the season, but that axle has been about for 4-5 years w/ no problems. The front is an HP D30 w/ warn hubs and inners/outers and an ARB. Rear is a stock TJ D44 with an ARB . . . stock, no alloy shafts.

If anything I would like to build either an HP9 or Currie Rock Jock 60. Only just because I'd like to get the driveshaft out of the rocks, the strength is a nice benefit.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
          If you're easy on the stupid pedal then a built HP D30/D44 combo will work just fine. Been running JV for about 3 years on a D30/D44 combo with only a broken hub and one u-joint in the front. I broke the rear ARB on the last run of the season, but that axle has been about for 4-5 years w/ no problems. The front is an HP D30 w/ warn hubs and inners/outers and an ARB. Rear is a stock TJ D44 with an ARB . . . stock, no alloy shafts.

If anything I would like to build either an HP9 or Currie Rock Jock 60. Only just because I'd like to get the driveshaft out of the rocks, the strength is a nice benefit.

What you said X2
          I am running a 9" hi-pin and massaged D30-have not done the locking hubs just yet.....but I don't have any isssues-well, regarding my Jeep that is...

A D60 combo is nice, but comes at the cost of re-engineering your Jeeps entire driveline and suspension in order to deal with the weight and width of the axles.
          It's sort of like people saying that a SOA conversion on a YJ is simple.....
          Money pit!

Comment

Running a 44 front 60 rear is cool but you'll have to carry 2 spares since the lug pattern is different,unless you get an 8 lug 44.At that point you should just get a 60 front and run 8 lug all around then you can run 37's with peice of mind.

It all boils down to your budget I guess.

Comment

Working...
            X