Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axles

i have a few questions concerning axles the first one is about the ford 9 inch, is the ford 9inch worth putting into a wrangler and what makes it so strong

the second is what is a really strong front axle and what vehicle comes with one stock ( so i can go find it a junk yard

Originally posted by dexter jackson View Post
    i have a few questions concerning axles the first one is about the ford 9 inch, is the ford 9inch worth putting into a wrangler and what makes it so strong

the second is what is a really strong front axle and what vehicle comes with one stock ( so i can go find it a junk yard
    Some would say that the Ford 9" is one of the most popular axles ever made......It's a strong axle to begin with and companies like Currie Enterprises can build you an amazing axle.

What do you really want to do with your Jeep?
    With a mildly built 9" axle you can run 35-37" tires. There is more aftermarket support for this axle than you can imagine.
    Yes, you can find a 9" axle in the junk yard, but you will have to regear it as well as reweld the spring perches and shock mounts. That is why I spent the $$ to have Currie build my axle....
    Typically a Dana 44 or 9" front axle will answer any strength issues you might have. But, if you have to have Dana 60's you are building a totally differant vehicle,
    Money pit!

Comment

9inch is great but only rear end. unlesslike pdw said have Currie make em for ya. Yea they have been super popular due to there huge ring an pinion. You can make them into a hybrid D60/9 inch. For expense wise you should just do some 60s or 44s. but you need to look into it more...what you will be wheeling. how much money do you really have to spend on axles. I hve been debating this for a long time and came to the conclusion that I dont have the money for tyhis while im in college. I am still going by the rule of "wheel what you got until it breaks, then upgrade"
      [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

this is my first jeep and i have only been wheeling for half a year because iv had my license for half a year and i have already had to rebiuld my rear axle (i dropped the clutch at 5000 rpm whill stuck in the mudd). which is why i want to upgrade now while nothing is broken.

but what trucks come stock with dana 44 in front or a ford 9 in the rear. that are comonly found in junk yards

i usually wheel in the technical stuff rocky out crops, dryen up steams and rock hills
        Last edited by dexter jackson; 10-29-07, 11:32 AM. Reason: forgooooot

Comment

First generation Ford Broncos.

Comment

Can you weld well? If so, look into getting a D44 rear end out of a Cherokee or Commanche or a Ford 8.8 out of a 96+ Exploder.

On pretty much any axle you get, (unless built for a TJ), your going to have to cut off all the old bracketry and weld on new ones that match the TJ rear suspension bracketry. (I believe the bracekts alone are around $300 from RE)

If you have the coin, have SOLID axle build you a D44 theyre under 3K.

But really putting anything thats not built for your TJ under there is gonna be a decent task.

Also, another good thing would be to find a rear D44 out of a Rubi. It will bolt in, it has a locker, and is a decent axle. (Check craigslist, Pirate4x4, or JU for them i see them aroud there)
            |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Yeah, I agree with Allen. Any axle is going to require working to get the spring perches welded on. Since it's a TJ,you've got coil springs front and rear. If you want a ford 9" than you're gonna do some welding.

Scouts, Corvettes, and some other vehicles had Dana 44's.

The scout's were shorter axles, but I don't think they were too short. You can have the axle tubes lengthened and have a company like Moser fab new shafts.

Finding a d44 out of some of the later model TJ's would be your best bet. The Sahara's, Sports, and "X" model jeeps came with D44's as an optional upgrade, and the Rubicons all came with front and rear D44.

The Ford 9" is a tough axle, and they are a popular upgrade in Jeeps. I'd say if you want a Ford 9" axle, save your pennies and have Currie or another company of a simpler nature build the axle so that your job is easier, and it's more of a bolt on nature instead of you personally having to make the axle fit.
              WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
              [_____]
              (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
              []--o---[]

Comment

yea we need to know what type of terrain you are going to wheel. If you are going to wheeling 33s then you dont need this much beef. Honestly I have been wheeling my D44/30 on some pretty tough terrain and have not been that dissapointed. Sure I have broke 2 u-joints and some steering parts, but those are like 50$ tops... I am going to go up to 35s and then save...save ....and save some more for some nice looking 60s. Do some searching and get a friend that is a fabricator!!
                [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

I heard you should use the nodular housing for the 9" also cause its stronger,I guess the non nodular blows pinion bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by bodyman909 View Post
                    I heard you should use the nodular housing for the 9" also cause its stronger,I guess the non nodular blows pinion bearings.
                    Is that for the low-pinion or the hi-pinion 9"? I understood that the nodular third members were the high-strength models--Are you saying that there is an issue the strength of a non-nodular third members?
                    I haven't heard anything about that....
                    Money pit!

Comment

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ord/index.html

Here they talk about the plain grey iron case and caps are prone to failure in extreme drag racing(same would apply to rock crawling with big tires and horse power)The nodular case and pinion bearing retainer are more desirable for extreme abuse.I dont know what size tires your runnin or how hard core you are so maybe you'll be alright with the standard case.

just my 2 cents...
                      Last edited by bodyman909; 11-12-07, 11:35 PM.

Comment

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ord/index.html

Here they talk about the plain grey iron case and caps are prone to failure in extreme drag racing(same would apply to rock crawling with big tires and horse power)The nodular case and pinion bearing retainer are more desirable for extreme abuse.I dont know what size tires your runnin or how hard core you are so maybe you'll be alright with the standard case.

just my 2 cents...
                        That makes sense, but I am running an I4 with 4:1 transfer with 4.88 gears in the 3rd member of a Hi-Pinion Currie 9". No high-horse power here, just trying to use the torque that is left in my tired 13 year old motor.
                        I'm typically bouncing the tach needle between 1500-200 rpm when I'm crawling on things. I will occasionally get a little crazy and rev the motor out to 2500 rpm's.
                        Most people on this board are running factory motors-I4/I6 or even some mild V-8's.
                        Someday I'll convert to one of those Golen I-6's!
                        Money pit!

Comment

Those custom currie 9's are nice!I'm pretty sure for the price your gettin a nodular case.Its probably got 35 spline 1 1/2 shafts which are BEEF.You could run 40's with those shafts.

Comment

Those custom currie 9's are nice!I'm pretty sure for the price your gettin a nodular case.Its probably got 35 spline 1 1/2 shafts which are BEEF.You could run 40's with those shafts.
                            Yes, to be honest it is a nice axle. Unfortunately I am going to be on 33-35" tires for a while. I'm getting married next June and I would need to install a V-8 inorder to turn the 40's....
                            The day that I seriously break the front axle I will be calling Currie again!
                            Money pit!

Comment

Working...
                            X