Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wind + soft top issues?

Anyone had issues with there soft tops on windy days? Like ripping or anything of the sort? It's blowing like a son of a bitch here today and depending on the direction the wind is coming from my door tops flap and pull about 1/2" away from the top, and the rest of the top sounds like its about to get pulled right off. Kinda makes me nervous I dont want the doors rip off or anything else rip for that matter.
    Yellow 01 Sport
    4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

Originally posted by crawlin92 View Post
    Anyone had issues with there soft tops on windy days? Like ripping or anything of the sort? It's blowing like a son of a bitch here today and depending on the direction the wind is coming from my door tops flap and pull about 1/2" away from the top, and the rest of the top sounds like its about to get pulled right off. Kinda makes me nervous I dont want the doors rip off or anything else rip for that matter.
    Interesting, I have a friend who just bought a wrangler, with a soft top that is not OEM. It vibrants and makes soooo much noise when traveling over 45 mph, you cannot really talk. My 05 has a factory top, which is not too bad till you reach speeds over 65. Dont know if that helps.....but would love to hear from the rest of the soft top travelers.
    "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
    (Charles Wells)

Comment

Is your soft top old? It sounds like it is just stretched out. I have a new one on my TJ and I will NEVER go back to a hard top. LOVE IT!
      Rat
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I've got a Bestop on my YJ, and yeah...It's really loud. I've had mine out on really windy days up, and i've brought the jeep up to about 70mph. I've got the same problem with my windows, I'm just wondering...do your doors have all the pegs in them? Cause i've got at least one peg on both doors missing, and it does the same thing. Also, is the soft top proper secured around the door frame? It sounds like it may be jsut stretched out like Rat said. Mine's old, and it kinda sags over the cab...so I don't think much about it, just as long as every part of the top is well attatched, then i don't think you should have any porblems.
        WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
        [_____]
        (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
        []--o---[]

Comment

My top is in great shape, might as well be brand new. The doors arent loose, the pegs arent missing, everythign seals up really good. I havent had any problems with it on a fair weather day, but yesterday was blowing like crazy and thats what made my doors flap and everything sound crazy, otherwise I dont have a problem. But I just wanted to see if anyone has had things get ripped or anything when its windy out.
          Yellow 01 Sport
          4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

Comment

the windows pull about 1 1/2 in away on mine but never had a problem besides the noise. on hot days my top gets loose and likes to try to come off the back.

Comment

The tops will flex against the wind and the inside air pressure pushes the other side of the top in the same direction as the wind is blowing. The first time I experienced this I was puzzeled also but the top continues to work fine.
              :wink:

Comment

That's the price we pay for driving covered wagons

Rat
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Yeah, mine puffs up like a balloon when I break 50mph! My passenger side rear window has this tendency to pull loose from the channeling. My jeep's just got problems out the wazoo.
                  WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
                  [_____]
                  (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                  []--o---[]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                    That's the price we pay for driving covered wagons

Rat
                    But God knows I love the money pit aka my sweet Jeep
                    :wink:

Comment

Try opening the door and bending the frame on the top of the soft door in towards where it seals against the door jam. If there is not enough preasure the wind will make the top of doors flap in the wind.
                      456's 2 lockers 4 disc brakes 8.8 lots of skid plates

Comment

I have had soft tops on two of my jeeps and never had anything like this happen! when it's real windy my jeep blows around a bit in my lane, but my soft top stays put! some noise but not to bad.
                        Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

i dont even have a soft top, the sumers here are good im just going to get a bikini top and be done with it

Comment

thats what I did, I got a bikini top, wind jammer and a duster cover, I'm going to run this set up all year round! I did change to a island topper.
                            Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

My 2004 doesnt make a lot of noise unless it is real windy. My dad has a 2000 and his sounds like it is trying to take flight when driving normal speed. From what I read somewheree else around 03 or 04 they switched to a triple layer material instead of the single layer for the softtops.
                              Dennis
                              04 TJ
                              4.0/Auto
                              RE 4.5 Long Arm
                              Rock-It Man Rockers
                              33x12.50 BFG A/T
                              desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

Comment

Working...
                              X