Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Mapping Software

Anyone have any good information regarding GPS mapping software. In particular, I would like topo software for a a handheld Garmin GPS. Preferrably, a software that was detailed enough to have forest service and other backroads labeled on the handheld. I have the Garmin Topo software, and though it gives an accurate picture of the area, it is not particularly good for route finding and direction following. Any experiences or suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Try here

http://www.topografix.com/

Try the trial (30 days I think) of Expert GPS.

I'm using Easy GPS by them, and doing the trial of Expert GPS.

Comment

Looks interesting

Thanks for the input. I will investigate more today.

What are your thoughts thus far? It seems to be quite robust. For instance, can you locate FS 3N16 (Holcomb Creek) on the map?

Comment

Garmin GPS receivers only work with Garmin software. To the best of my knowledge your only 2 choices for topographical maps loaded on to your Garmin receiver are Garmin Topo and Garmin National Parks. There has been whispers around the internet for a couple of years about someone writing a program that will allow third party topo software to work....but I believe it is not available yet.

Expert GPS, National Geographic Topo and DeLorme Topo are all good programs for your laptop if you want to hook your GPS receiver into your laptop they will work together.
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

I was not aware of the compatibility issue. Actually, I am a newbie to GPS (it was a XMas gift). I appreciate your input, and will investigate further.

Comment

Correct, currently Garmin will only accept Garmin maps. However, you can export your waypoints/tracks/routes into many different softwares. Expert GPS is one of them. When I downloaded some geocaches in Holcolm Creek, I was able to pull up the topo of the trail in Expert GPS.

FishPOET is a pro at this stuff. He has many trails marked with his GPS...I even think he has Holcolm ???

For what its worth, I was able to get Holcolm on Microsoft Streets and Trips, and I have run that program on my laptop with my Garmin attached. But it has NO topo info, only streets.

Comment

Garmin Mapsource products are the only way to load maps onto your Garmin GPS receiver.

As for finding the perfect mapping program, it just doesn't exist. There are many good products out there, and each has its thing it does best.

For track and waypoint layering and display, I like Delorme TopoUSA 3D. Printing is aceptable. At higher zoom levels, they are using real USGS 7.5min maps stitched together. The Mojave sheets even have hand written surveyors scribbles on them. Waypoint and track management is very cumbersome.

For track and waypoint management and communication with my Magellan GPS, I like Magellan's MapSend Topo. It also is the only way to get maps (which are pretty good) onto the GPS receiver. However, MapSend only works with Magellan receivers. Mapsend (and Garmin's MapSource) are absolute crap for map display and printing.

Ozi Explorer is a good compromise, with good managment features, very good display and printing. The California Geospatial library offers free downloads of California USGS topo maps, which work very well for OziExplorer. The bonus feature is that anything an be calibrated for use as a map (such as scanned-in Rick Russel trail maps.) But it is still a little clunky going from map sheet to map sheet unless you do some prep work.

National Geographic's offerings looks good for display and printing, but suffer the same problems as Delorme's.

I would very be surprised to find a product which can identify remote routes by name or identifier. Every map is out of date before the ink dries, while routes come and go and get renamed more often then the maps are revised.

Magellen's MapSend TOPO maps are a bit better than Garmin's Mapsource TOPO maps, but Garmin receivers are far superior. Both are good enough.

Comment

FWIW, we have a Garmin Quest and are running Mapsource City Select software in it. It shows the major trails in Big Bear by their alpha/numeric name. (and yes, you can locate 3N16 on the map.) Im not sure if its compatible with your handheld. This software came free with our Quest.
                2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Thanks all for your input. I knew that some folks here had to know about GPS. I think I will get some 7.5 minute topos for the laptop. With the laptop topos, GPS, and paper maps I am certain to get lost. I will also check into the MapCSource City Select thing that. If nothing else, it should be a fun toy to fool around with and might prove useful as I get the hang of it. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                    Garmin GPS receivers only work with Garmin software. To the best of my knowledge your only 2 choices for topographical maps loaded on to your Garmin receiver are Garmin Topo and Garmin National Parks. There has been whispers around the internet for a couple of years about someone writing a program that will allow third party topo software to work....but I believe it is not available yet.

Expert GPS, National Geographic Topo and DeLorme Topo are all good programs for your laptop if you want to hook your GPS receiver into your laptop they will work together.
                    I've seen linux software that will change formats of all sorts of stuff, but I've never played with it. I'm not sure if it chnges formats for topo maps, or only waypoints and the like. When I get a GPS, I'll be using only linux (unless I absolutely can't get it going in linux) and will let you know what I find out as far as converting formats!
                    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X