Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Help

Trying to learn all i can about the Jeep world and what i can do to be a better jeep owner etc. Bit confused about all the abbreviations and "tj"'s etc. Anyone wanna fill in a curious young wrangler mind?

a 98 wrangler is a "tj"... those are abbreviations from jeep for the different models of jeep. i have a yj, which is from 88-95
    cj's are from 87 back til, um... well, i dont know the date
    xj is a cherokee, and zj is a grand cherokee.. i hope this helps!
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Super_qurl, We've owned our Jeep since 1997 and I'm still trying to figure that one out. There was a place I saw awhile back that had the xplanations about those and now I can't even remember where I saw it. Sorry for the lack of knowledge on my end.
      1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
      Glad to be back in California!

Comment

OOPs

Sorry super_Gurl, I put a Q instead of a G. Sorry! :frown:

Comment

here it is.. i found it
          Jeep Abbreviations
          TJ - Wrangler (97-present)
          YJ - Wrangler (87-95)
          CJ - "Civilian Jeep"
          XJ - Cherokee
          KJ - Liberty
          WJ - Grand Cherokee (99-present)
          ZJ - Grand Cherokee (93-98)
          SJ - Wagoneer
          MJ - Commanche
          DJ - Postal Jeep
          ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
            here it is.. i found it
            Jeep Abbreviations
            YJ - Wrangler (87-95)
            CJ - "Civilian Jeep"
            XJ - Cherokee
            KJ - Liberty
            SJ - Wagoneer
            MJ - Commanche
            DJ - Postal Jeep
            Let's see, in our family we have had a rusted out SJ that currently resides in my aunt's wheat field buried up to its doors (Mom), a really cool, but tempermental CJ (my brother) and the current resident is a TJ gentleman named Blackjack who is just beginning his career (mine). Strange, Dad never owned a Jeep.

Comment

here it is.. i found it
              Jeep Abbreviations
              YJ - Wrangler (87-95)
              CJ - "Civilian Jeep"
              XJ - Cherokee
              KJ - Liberty
              SJ - Wagoneer
              MJ - Commanche
              DJ - Postal Jeep
              When you get right down to it. You can figure at the first letter before the "Js" DJ -- Delivery MJ -- Military. I knew I had seen this before, but it went it to more details of the first letters. Like the S, Z, W, K, X, Y and T.

I always goofed off and said the TJ meant the "Tonka Jeep". Ha ha, I forgot to laugh! I need to come up with better jokes. My family jokes are too dry!

Comment

King, you misread, the MJ is not military, it is the Commanche which was a civilian 2wd/4wd pickup with many similarities to the Cherokee. And "DJ" is not for Delivery Jeep, it stands for Dispatch Jeep.

One more that is somewhat known, but not too common, the "FC" which was the "Forward Control". The earlier pickups that shared the same frame and driveline as the CJs but the cab sat over the engine, in front of the front axle.

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by Trailbst
                  King, you misread, the MJ is not military, it is the Commanche which was a civilian 2wd/4wd pickup with many similarities to the Cherokee. And "DJ" is not for Delivery Jeep, it stands for Dispatch Jeep.

One more that is somewhat known, but not too common, the "FC" which was the "Forward Control". The earlier pickups that shared the same frame and driveline as the CJs but the cab sat over the engine, in front of the front axle.

Erik
                  I know MJ isn't Military Jeep, just trying to be silly. I guess I forgot the smiley face!

King4wd knew about the "FC". Just ask me anything about hummingbirds I can easily tell people about them just not JEEPS! I just know when something goes wrong, i.e. battery, pinion bearing goes out, or a Honda Sedan suddenly in front of me and smashing her rear end. So if you see us at Panamint Valley the dent isn't from that one, it's from another Japanese sedan and not a boulder. I would rather it be from a boulder.

Comment

it's from another Japanese sedan and not a boulder. I would rather it be from a boulder.
                    rotflmao!!! YEA, IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO DENT YOUR JEEP ON A BOULDER THAN IT IS ON A JAPANESE SEDAN oops caps
                    ERIK

Comment

rotflmao!!! YEA, IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO DENT YOUR JEEP ON A BOULDER THAN IT IS ON A JAPANESE SEDAN oops caps
                      Thanks Erik! With this post I was rotflmao!!
                      I always hit the cars with cars and when I rode (use to own) a Trek930 mountain bike is usually when I hit the boulders, or should I say land on a rock and put a puncture hole in my hip.
                      Why couldn't I do that in the Jeep? :confused: I guess I drive better on trails and ride bikes better on roads.

Comment

Working...
                      X