Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniden Pro520Xl or Cobra 19DXIV

Hey there folks!

I'm looking @ radios and I think I've narrowed it down to the 520xl or the 19DXIV. The reason being is that I think that I want the PA option. The only other option on a "budget" radio would be the weather station(s). Are there any real differences between these 2 radios? I've searched the board and the mfrs sites and they seem to be very compairable radios. Any real life feed back from users? Do any of you wish that you had the weather station function? I know that I probably don't need a weather radio here in So. Cal.

Any suggestions on where to purchase? I've looked on eBay and the used radios + the "stupid" shipping costs put the used radios just about where the new ones would be. www.walcottcb.com seems to be a reasonable shop.

Thanks in advance,

L1
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]ANGRY MIDDLE CLASS WHITE GUY![/COLOR]

i have the cobra and i like it, cost about $70 new since I needed it quickly and didn't look for a deal. before i bought it i did some basic research and found that within this price range they're all pretty much the same radio.

i opted for the Cobra over the Uniden simply due to looks...the unidens are incredibly ugly, in my opinion.
    03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike
      the unidens are incredibly ugly, in my opinion.
      The radios look about the same, other than the display. But you did make me notice the "square" mic of the Uniden. The Cobra mic looks a bit more ergonomically correct. Ha, what do I know.....other then the Cobra is about $10 cheeper.

Where is the speaker located on the radio? Do you have an external speaker or does the radio's speaker work well enough? Do you have pics of how you mounted it?

Thanks in advance!

L1
      Last edited by Loser1; 06-28-06, 07:50 PM.

Comment

maddmike,

Also, since the Cobra 18dxiv has "electronic tuning" did you have to get you radio/antenna tuned.

Thanks again!

L1

Comment

speaker is located on the bottom of the unit. with the top down, don't plan on hearing the speaker above about 50mph. it would be wise to get a stereo attachment to splice into your stereo, which i do not have.

i mounted mine on the lower dashboard just to the left of the TC shift lever. i mounted it almost vertically with the wide side against the dash, so you can easily read the channels while driving, and the handheld mount rests just to the left of my heater controls. i don't have a camera or i'd send you a pic. i think it's a great location.

i didn't need to tune the radio when i bought it.
          03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

maddmike,

Thanks for the insight!

L1

Comment

4x4 radios are simple, mine is NOT

Originally posted by maddmike
              speaker is located on the bottom of the unit. with the top down, don't plan on hearing the speaker above about 50mph. it would be wise to get a stereo attachment
              Ok guys lets get down to biz... first off cb radios for off road people need to be as simple as it gets. They need to have the functions you want/need as well as work properly NOT talk around the USA or the world like my stuff. The stereo attachment idea... NOT... external speaker will do great and save you a LOT of grief. NEXT, your antena is your biggest leg of your system. If its not tuned your in trouble and once it is then thats it, any radio will work on it and dont let anyone convince you of anything different. Cobra , uniden ,president as well as other radios are ALL made by the same company. I used to own my a CB radio shop in Ontario as well as have worked for other shops here in California. if you have any questions then ask...MATT2001TJ Apple Valley Ca.
              Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 07-25-06, 10:32 PM.
              "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Originally posted by Loser1
                maddmike,

Thanks for the insight!

L1

L1-
                Whatever you end up getting (if you haven't gotten one yet) just don't boost it up to 8 gazillion watts! The re-verb for everyone else around you is !
                -Bob
                '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

CB help

matt2001tj i see you are going to Big Bear meet and greet i am new here and i just installed a cb set up and don't have access to the meter required to set up, could i trouble you to help me tune it if that is not a big deal ? I don't know how to check to wee if it is working.
                  thanks in advance for any help
                  moon buggy
                  5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

Your Radio

Originally posted by Jeep Virgin
                    matt2001tj i see you are going to Big Bear meet and greet i am new here and i just installed a cb set up and don't have access to the meter required to set up, could i trouble you to help me tune it if that is not a big deal ? I don't know how to check to wee if it is working.
                    thanks in advance for any help
                    i WOULD, but now plans have changed and I wont be going otherwise I would....MATT

"Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Working...
                    X