Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Savy?

Hey all,

I installed a CB last week and finally got to test it last night.

Tha Mrs' & I went out for a night run with Rick & Sarah. Everything was fine until Rick went a few hundred yards ahead to scout the trail.

I could here him fine on my end, but he couldn't hear my responses.

"CRASH! are you out there?"
    -yes
    "CRASH! Come in"
    -I hear ya Rick
    "CRASH! DO YOU COPY?"
    -YEAH RICK GO AHEAD
    "CRASH! COME IN"
    -*@&#!

You get the point.

A few minutes later we grouped back up and he could hear me fine.

The unit is a cheapo Radio-shack jobbie (Same as Rick's I believe)
    The Antennea (also a cheapy)is mounted on a bracket that bolts in behind the rear taillight.

I'm assuming the problem is distance related, but why I received him loud and clear, yet he couldn't hear me, baffles me.

So can anyone offer some guidance?

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

Crash!,

You probably need to tune the Standing Wave Ration (SWR) of your CB antenna so that it radiates more power. Here's an explanation. I will bring my SWR meter to the Meet n Greet on Saturday. If your antenna came with an adjustment tool, bring it with you. Meanwhile, make sure that the antenna mount bracket is well grounded.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

Very cool... Thanks Russ!

Originally posted by Russ Chung
      Meanwhile, make sure that the antenna mount bracket is well grounded.
      Hmmm... the bracket I made is Aluminum. THAT could be a problem. I'll make a new bracket in something more conductive and see if that helps too.

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

Comment

Aluminum isn't an issue - assuming the mount is grounded well to the vehicle - we make entire antenna's out of it in the Ham world

If you have a test meter/light, try this. Remove the antenna from the mount, unscrew the PL-259 connector from the back of the radio. Check for continuity between the center pin of the PL-259 and the shell - you shouldn't have any. Check between the shell and a known frame ground - you should have continuity.

If you pass both of those - it's likely VSWR related
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY
        You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
          Aluminum isn't an issue - assuming the mount is grounded well to the vehicle - we make entire antenna's out of it in the Ham world
          Hes right the aluminum isnt a problem, my bracket is made out of aluminum and my CB works perfect. its most likely SWR related.
          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

The fact that he has RX but limited TX makes me think so too - but checking continuity is pretty easy.
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY
            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
              The fact that he has RX but limited TX makes me think so too - but checking continuity is pretty easy.
              oh yeah no doubt, check the continuity first.
              |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Working...
              X