Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing salt abuse on my MT rims

Hello fellow Jeep maniacs! Does anyone have a special recipie or product that will clean up my mickey thompson classic lock rims?
    I've had them on my TJ for about a month and the salt/dirt is taking its toll. I know a buffing kit will work - not practical when its 10F out. No matter that the surface is clean, I can still see dull areas, etc. is this par for the material and/or product? thanks in advance!
    "Work is the curse of the drinking class" ~Charles Dickens

Good luck. I have alloys on my motorhome, what a pita they are to keep clean, w/o salt and dirt. Most factory wheels have a clear coat and these don't. Try greasing them up with something to keep the junk for sticking might be a direction worth trying but as far as a magic potion, haven't heard of one. I'll use tire dressing on the under side to help me with clean up, before and after and I've heard of people using vegetable spray too, probably not as harty as tire dressing though.

B&T TJ

Comment

First find out if the wheels have a clear coat finish. If so, there may be a delamination letting the salt water get under and corroding the aluminum. There are a couple of companies that make a clear coat remover and buffing compound to bring the shine back. Then you re apply the clear coat.
      If there is no clear coat, simi chrome or the like ,for alum wheels is all you need. A buffer attachment on a drill will save time. I would put clear coat on to make the shine last.
      A great winter project!
      Ford 9" rear, Dana 44 front, Detroit No spins F/R, 4.56 /1
      Bulletproof front bumper, Body Armor rear bumper
      MPFI 258ci I6 by Clifford
      35" BFG AT, 4 wheel disc brakes
      4.5" Superlift, 2" body lift
      Bad to the bone.[SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkRed]

Comment

Working...
      X