Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance

Everytime I do a major upgrade to my Jeep I start to think of auto insurance. Is anyone having extra coverage on their insurance to cover the costs of all these mods incase of accident or theft?
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

I was recently told by my insurance agent at state farm about the same thing since i just aded a lift and new wheels and tires. She told me since it is bolted to my vehicle that it is covered under my policy and to keep the receipts as proof.

Comment

Thats cool, I have State Farm also sad part is do I have all my reciepts or at least the major ones. I will have to do some digging tonight.
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Bill, one of the guys at work had his dodge stolen recently.

They paid him for all upgrades that he could prove. (AAA)
        1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Insurance coverage

When my Jeep was stolen last March AAA took into account every mod and part I had. I kept good records and made a list of everythng that had been done.

Depending on how old mods are they pay a percentage of what your cost was. In my case, since I had bought the rig under market the appraisal paid me everything I had in it. But generally you'll get about half what you put into it.

AAA was outstanding to work with. They did a very comprehensive appraisal with at least a half dozen comps. And because of all the parts I had added, they ordered out an independent appraisal. The adjuster said theirs was the minimum they would pay and that I could pick up the check. If the independent appraisal was for more they would cut me a check for the difference. I thought 'yeah right', like some insurance company is really going to do that. About a week later she called and said the new appraisal was a couple hundred more and they were sending me a copy of it with a check!

Sad part for them is that I had just switched to them about 3 weeks prior and the agent talked me into $250 deductible - YEEEHAAWW!!! Plus, LA Sheriff recovered it the day after I picked up my check. It was stripped, of course.

Your rig is covered. Just keep all your receipts and a log of dates when work is done. Will help not only for an insurance claim, but will become a good reference for value if you ever want to sell it, plus it will help you keep track of maintenance items.

Comment

i would take some good pictures too and keep them and the receipts in a file..............thats what i am going to do

Comment

Originally posted by FyrmanJJ
              i would take some good pictures too and keep them and the receipts in a file..............thats what i am going to do
              Yes, absolutely. I forgot to mention that. I had a nice large clear picture to submit with my claim, and a log of all maintenance done as that helps determine value.

Comment

check all of them..

Originally posted by nagal
                Everytime I do a major upgrade to my Jeep I start to think of auto insurance. Is anyone having extra coverage on their insurance to cover the costs of all these mods incase of accident or theft?
                yeah insure and allstate have increased that's why i've tried look for alternative around
                Last edited by sarah; 03-30-06, 11:52 PM. Reason: deleted superfluous insurance links

Comment

I increased my replacement coverage limit. Also keep all of my receipts, records and pics.......B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
                    When my Jeep was stolen last March AAA took into account every mod and part I had. I kept good records and made a list of everythng that had been done. ...
                    I also have AAA but they told me here in WI that they do not cover any vehicle that has a suspension lift in an accident. So even though you may be ok in case of theft or other loss, be aware that they may have clauses in their policy like this and they might refuse to cover your loss in some cases.
                    03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                    "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

mines covered with ad ons witha $250 deductable

Comment

Working...
                      X