Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XM Radio Ant.

For my birthday my wife got me a new stereo for the Jeep

It has XM Sat. and I was wondering where people have put there antenna?

I am thinking of just putting it up on the dash, as I really do not know where else.

I do have my CB mounted up on top of the windsheild frame and was thinking there but not sure if it will pick up the signal through the soft top.

Any suggestions?
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Yay! We have an XM cult forming!! Which antenna do you have? I have the roady one and it sits great on top of my roll cage tube. Look for someplace up and out of the way, the higher up you can get it, I've found, the less it will cut out.

SQUIZZ FOREVER!
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I have my antenna mounted inside the Jeep on the passenger side of the dash. The only place I get a problem with my signal is when I pass the "CompuServe" store in a strip Mall It's one of the best purchases that I've made, I looked into it when I was at EJS last year I was burnt out on the CD's that I brought.
      *Pebbles* 02 Sport Canyon Package
      Rockers by JCFabAndDesign.com/XM Commander
      Jeep Owner since '96 87YJ

Comment

Here is the antenna I have (err will have once it arrives):

XM is great, we have it at home and we love it. We have no good radio in my area and sometimes I just get tired of my iPod, so decided to get XM with the new stereo.

Sarah, since yours is sitting on the roll cage tube, I take it, it works good with your top on?
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Yup, and I even have the hard top on right now. Your antenna looks much bigger than mine, so I'm sure you should have to problem getting the signal. So you're going with two radios? Do you listen to them simultaneously? If not, there are a fair number of portable options out there ... I"ve got the Roady2 and take it inside, in the Jeep, and in other people's vehicles too. It rocks. Best part is, I take it with me when I park!
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Yes going to have 2 radios as my wife would never let me take the house one for the Jeep

I really did not want a portable as its just another thing I would have to lug around, iPod and Cell Phone are enough.
            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
              Sarah, since yours is sitting on the roll cage tube, I take it, it works good with your top on?
              It work better if she took her top off
              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

I'm having some real problems with my Pioneer XM ready. It's all about antenna location. The BEst Buy where I had it installed just didn't know how to put the antenna on a TJ. At first I had mine located on the driver side dash. It hardly worked at all. So I had the Best Buy install guy put it outside but he left it low next to the mirror. I got sick of it still cutting out. So I pulled some slack and I have it higher up on the door frame. It works OK now. But not perfectly.

I used to have the SkyFi on another vehicle that came with a larger antenna. It rarely ever cut out. I wheeled in thick forests in Colorado and it never cut out. My current Pioneer XM loses signal when it sees a tree.

It ticks me off because from the start I wanted it in the roll bar padding next to the sound bar. I had read that the top being up didn't affect it. But I think it was easier for the installers to put it closer to the dash. I used to love my old XM but this one has bummed me out.

Dave

Comment

where I placed my xm antennia

hi guys,
                  I installed my xm radio almost 3 years ago, the receiver part is under my rear seat and the antennia is on the passanger dash board as close as I could get it to the window and still have people grab if needed to hold on. its never been in the way and I've never had a problem with it. the reception is great whether her in the bay area of ca, or in the rubicon mtns.
                  good luck...
                  `98 black Sahara tj 4.0 L manual, with a 6" Rubicon Express Lift on 35" X-Terrian tires; Picture at site below...
                  It's a Newly lifted jeep, and I can't wait to wheel

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/login

Comment

Asked the Jeep Club

hay dhsundance, where is the pioneer stereo receiving the signal from the xm radio from? The cable directly from the receiver? Or a radio station on the radio?

One of my club members used to work at best buy; he says the static is probably coming from the stereo and not the xm receiver. He put his antenna on top of his overhead speaker bar, and has never had a problem in 3 years.

His suggestion is to check all the connections on the radio, and if they are loose you might weld them.

Hope this helps
                    `98 black Sahara tj 4.0 L manual, with a 6" Rubicon Express Lift on 35" X-Terrian tires; Picture at site below...
                    It's a Newly lifted jeep, and I can't wait to wheel

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/login

Comment

Originally posted by jeepsforever
                      hay dhsundance, where is the pioneer stereo receiving the signal from the xm radio from? The cable directly from the receiver? Or a radio station on the radio?

One of my club members used to work at best buy; he says the static is probably coming from the stereo and not the xm receiver. He put his antenna on top of his overhead speaker bar, and has never had a problem in 3 years.

His suggestion is to check all the connections on the radio, and if they are loose you might weld them.

Hope this helps
                      My old XM was aSky-fi using the FM modulator- I never had a problem with this setup. My Pioneer is a direct connection. I've been really busy lately and haven't gone back in to have them put the antenna on top of the roll bar. The installer there will be unhappy to see me again but I'll keep going back until it's working as well as my old unit.

Comment

I put mine on the hood. I have Sirius though. I don't have any problems.

Jason
                        The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X