Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with my tire?

Well we are getting a new car so there is no need to pretend the Jeep will ever be used to car more than 2 people. So I am going to ditch the back seat completely.

I am thinking of moving my spare in the back and just wanted to get others comments.

Thanks,
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

As I recall, Chris_L leaves the spare on the trailer and just carries a Safety Seal kit. Of course, I don't know if he could even fit those massive spares in the back of his TJ. The 33's should fit in their without a problem, just make sure it is safely ratchet strapped in there. You wouldn't want to be wearing it as a hat in case of an unexpected stop or roll.

Having watched the Missus Safety Seal her Subaru tires, I know it is fairly easy and a reasonable approach if you don't mind the time to get the tire off and inspect and plug (I wouldn't want her sitting on the side of the Pasadena Freeway plugging her flat). Sidewall tears might leave you in the lurch but not a big deal if you are travelling with others who can fetch the spare for you. The Safety Seal is also a permanent repair, notwithstanding the legalese in the manual. She's driven several hundred miles on the repair on freeway and local roads without losing psi.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

You will lose (what most people I think would consider) precious space. Maybe you can check out other Jeeps like nailer's before you commit.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

i keep my spare in the bed of my jeep, as does igofshn. they are both 35" tires.
        most tire damage can be fixed with the safety seal kit. keeping it in the bed helps with departure angle, as well as weight transfer.
        occasionally i leave my spare at camp, and bank on the safety seal kit, but not too often.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
          i keep my spare in the bed of my jeep, as does igofshn. they are both 35" tires.
          most tire damage can be fixed with the safety seal kit. keeping it in the bed helps with departure angle, as well as weight transfer.
          occasionally i leave my spare at camp, and bank on the safety seal kit, but not too often.
          are you happy with the space? and the space that is lost?
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I am to much of a wuss to run without a spare

I am not worried about the space loss, have some ideas on nice ways to fix it up back there. Plus with enough cargo straps and traps, can carry/weather proof anything.

I am still not married to this idea, just checking it out. Now if Chris raffles off a Rock-it Man swing out tire carrier and I win, this would be a mute point
            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Working...
            X