Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing the dent in my fender ... with pics

Yah yah ... I know ... it's a jeep ... and it was real trail damage ... but I decided to finally fix it because the salt and moisture were really doing a number on the sheet metal out here in cheese land.

So I figured I'd share a few pictures of the process I went through trying to fix the dent in my Jeep's passenger fender ... as some of you may remember, I first mashed it into a tree root at the Rubicon a couple of years ago and then last time at the Badlands, the front end took a big hop and went sideways into the hill making it even worse.

It was my absolute first time doing anything like this so most of all, I just wanted to see how to do it, what it takes, and learn along the way. The outcome is not anywhere near pro quality but I'm happy with it.

Just to start, a before and after shot:

Here's the link to the album with comments.

Let me know what you think ... and if anyone does body work or has any hints on how to do things better, I'm all ears! This is much harder than I thought at first.

And while I was at it, I coated the front flares with a couple coats of flexible rubberized bumper coating. I still need to do the rears as they have faded quite a bit and have some rock rash them.
    Last edited by seapahn; 02-13-05, 07:03 PM.
    03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
    "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

That looks like the fender you smashed on the Con.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

I think it is the same one Al ... hey seapahn, "chicks dig body damage!" just kidding, looks good!
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Yup, same fender. Hey seamonkey, you gonna fix your front license plate next????
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Yup the same fender ...

License plate is officially OFF! I had a brand spanking new shiney WI plate ... FIRST obstacle at the trip out to gilbert (MN) and this is what happens ... you probably don't even have to click

And Sarah, I'm having enough trouble keeping the chicks off of me with the jeep as it is (not too many around here have lifted jeeps, especially no long arm rubi's!) ... so I don't need any body damage to "help" matters
          "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Originally posted by seapahn
            Yup the same fender ...

License plate is officially OFF! I had a brand spanking new shiney WI plate ... FIRST obstacle at the trip out to gilbert (MN) and this is what happens ... you probably don't even have to click

And Sarah, I'm having enough trouble keeping the chicks off of me with the jeep as it is (not too many around here have lifted jeeps, especially no long arm rubi's!) ... so I don't need any body damage to "help" matters
            ROFL, on both accounts hehe
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

if you feel like redoing it sometime, you'll need to remove the bondo. use a body hammer & dolly (get one on ebay or at the auto parts store) and try hammering the metal back into shape, then use small amounts of bondo to do some smoothing. the bondo shouldn't be more than 1/4" thick.

another option is to try to find a replacement fender on ebay or car-part.com and just replace it! tube fenders are another option

Comment

Originally posted by seapahn
                Yah yah ... I know ... it's a jeep ... and it was real trail damage ... but I decided to finally fix it because the salt and moisture were really doing a number on the sheet metal out here in cheese land.

So I figured I'd share a few pictures of the process I went through trying to fix the dent in my Jeep's passenger fender ... as some of you may remember, I first mashed it into a tree root at the Rubicon a couple of years ago and then last time at the Badlands, the front end took a big hop and went sideways into the hill making it even worse.

It was my absolute first time doing anything like this so most of all, I just wanted to see how to do it, what it takes, and learn along the way. The outcome is not anywhere near pro quality but I'm happy with it.

Just to start, a before and after shot:

Here's the link to the album with comments.

Let me know what you think ... and if anyone does body work or has any hints on how to do things better, I'm all ears! This is much harder than I thought at first.

And while I was at it, I coated the front flares with a couple coats of flexible rubberized bumper coating. I still need to do the rears as they have faded quite a bit and have some rock rash them.
                It seems fairly anomalous for a person who has the ability to acquire a Rubi to attempt first time body work. If you just bought the sticker, ignore the rest of this. Were it me, I would either buy a new fender and have it matched and swap it out, or get someone to show me a trick or two about body work.

You metal needs to be no scuffed with no finer than 40 grit. You need a way for the bondo to "key" onto the surface. It was stated above that it should be no more than 1/4" thick and when I worked at the bodyshop, the rule was no thicker than 1/8".

You are aware that the next time you tap that fender, all your time and effort will be wasted?

Lastly on the paint. The fender is a small easily defined area to paint. Lift the hood, and paint the whole thing. The blend sucks.
                I am Savvy.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys! Sure appreciate it.

Originally posted by mrblaine
                  It seems fairly anomalous for a person who has the ability to acquire a Rubi to attempt first time body work. If you just bought the sticker, ignore the rest of this. Were it me, I would either buy a new fender and have it matched and swap it out, or get someone to show me a trick or two about body work.
                  It's a Rubi ... no stickers. But I didn't get what that had to do with first time body work. Knowing my wheeling habits, I kind of have a feeling that fender is going to run into some more things so I didn't want to waste any money on a new one yet.

Tube fenders are definitely something I am considering ... the problem with those are wheel coverage and flares because this is not a trail only jeep and in WI they seem to be fairly strict about how much the wheel can be exposed.

It's a jeep in the building process .... the lift and tires will soon be a year old ... I just got done with the steering ... on board air is next followed by a full or some partial cage when I can afford it. Having flopped it last year, I would definitely spend money on the cage before worrying about fender or corner protection.

... as far as to "get someone to show me a trick or two about body work", that's what this thread is for :thumbs_up

Edit: By the way, we only had 3 or 4 days where the temps went into the 40's and I could spend time in the garage. It's been back down into the 20's and lower since then. The paint instructions say temps should be 68 or higher when doing these things so how important is that in the final finish? I tried to heat the can and the surface (and my hands) with the heat gun for a bit but not sure if that made any difference.

Comment

Brush a little mud on there and you'll be good as when you bought it!

:tongue:
                    Bryan
                    2003 black TJ 4.0 manual
                    front-OX-35 rear-OX-44 4.88
                    Rock-It Man rear bumper + rock rails, currie front bumper

Comment

Working...
                    X