Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windscreen light brackets/roof rack?

i'm looking to get a roof rack for my tj so i have some space for gear, im wondering if anyone knows if you can fit the windscreen mounted lights AND the roof rack attachments. It seems like it won't work, but the lights work so well there, i dont really wan to move them, plus the wiring mess that i would have to under go. thanks
    Neil

FOR SALE: 01 TJ Sport
    5 spd, 4in skyjacker, 33mt/rs, detroit rear, lock-rite front, 4.56's, safari snorkel, yada yada yada, im broke

I have a roofrack on my TJ with off-road lights on it. The one thing that I didn't anticipate made the lights virtually useless.

The lights being above the window caused such a glare on the window that it impeded my vision out of the window. I have been meaning to move the lights to my bumper for quite a while, I just haven't gotten around to it. In addition once the 35s are on, the Jeep won't fit in the garage with the roofrack on, so it will sit in the garage until needed.

So... if you plan on putting lights on a roof rack, make sure that the roofrack, or the light mount has something that will shield the light from going down onto your windshield. If not that, before you go through the trouble of running the wires, and fabbing a mount ($5 vs. $50 for a prefabbed mount)for the lights (like I did.) Set the lights where you intend to use them (maybe clamp them in place), then run a quick wire directly to them. Turn them on at night and see if there will be glare. You may also be able to mount them a little back from the windshield to avoid the glare. Here is a pic of where my glare inducing lights are mounted, so at least you know what NOT to do... At least someone can gain from my multitude of mistakes.

I didn't use a windscreen so I cannot really comment on that....

Comment

thanks for your help and advice, windscreen is the european/UK name for the windshield, like boot for trunk, bonnet for hood, for whatever reason ive picked up those words and have been using them for as long as i can remeber, must be reading and listening to bbc news all the time..

anyway, i dunno if you've seen it, but KC makes these things called "lightshields". check out quadratec.com (which im sure any jeep owner is familiar with) and the part number is "1211.900" might help you if out, also, i got the spot beam for the ones i have, a lot less glare compared to the hella 500's i had in the same spot (on the windshield hinge, where your roof rack connects to the brackets)

btw, nice looking rig you got there
      Last edited by ylwrnglr01; 02-09-05, 04:19 PM.
      Neil

FOR SALE: 01 TJ Sport
      5 spd, 4in skyjacker, 33mt/rs, detroit rear, lock-rite front, 4.56's, safari snorkel, yada yada yada, im broke

Comment

Working...
      X