Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat heater install

That's right. Seat heaters.

Since my Jeep is no longer my DD, it is very rare for it to have the top on. I have always preferred it doorless with just a safari top, so that is pretty much how it stays now year round. As such, it sometimes gets a little chilly so I ordered some universal seat heaters off eBay a while back, and finally got around to installing them this weekend.

Not the same seller, but the same kit:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Ca...a0ad11&vxp=mtr

Here's what came in the box:

2 seat kits and a very generic set of instructions.

Inside each kit:

2 carbon fiber heat pads, wiring harness with relay and inline fuse, and round 3 position switch

Close up of the switch:

Now to install the pads into the seat. I have EMPI RaceTrim suspension seats, so the install would be slightly different depending on your seats. First step is to remove the seat cover. On my seats this means untying the lacing on the bottom of the seat,

Then pulling the cover off. My seats had 3 hog rings where the seat back and bottom meet. I cut these using some dykes:

My naked seat:

One thing that I liked about these particular heaters is that they can be cut to any length to fit your seats. The next step was to fit the pads to my seats.

Pads installed. Luckily for me they fit the seats perfectly, ending just below the shoulder belt slot, and right at the front of the bottom. No trimming necessary:

Now to put the cover back on. Since most people (myself included) don't own hog ring pliers, the kit includes some small zip ties to use instead:

I trimmed them after taking the pic.

Cover back on, with the wires poking out the back corner:

I didn't take any pictures of the wiring. I tucked it all under my center console with the wiring poking out a hole I drilled in the side:

Mopar makes a factory seat heater kit that is MUCH more expensive. It splices into the cigar lighter power, so I did the same with mine. I mounted the switches into my center console in front of the shifter. Easy to reach from either seat, and almost looks factory

That's it! Tried it out last night and it was awesome. Will definitely make those chilly days a little more bearable.
    "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Ha! I love it Justin! Sarah may be calling you to install some for her!
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

I just put those in my 2013 seats also after my friend picked me up from surgery in 10 degree weather with his heated seats on in his Rubi. OOH LA LA! A few more hog rings to cut, zip-ties to install and I had to glue velcro strips on both sides of the pads. I left the seats in and it was easy, wired mine to the keyed power outlet too and mounted the switches in the dash.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubiclone View Post
        I just put those in my 2013 seats also after my friend picked me up from surgery in 10 degree weather with his heated seats on in his Rubi. OOH LA LA! A few more hog rings to cut, zip-ties to install and I had to glue velcro strips on both sides of the pads. I left the seats in and it was easy, wired mine to the keyed power outlet too and mounted the switches in the dash.

Yeah, I know it's an option on the JK's. That's where the Mopar kit originates, but it's almost $300, so I went this route. My pads had some adhesive strips on the back to keep them in place.

My wife's Ford Flex has heated seats, and that's what started the idea for me to put these in.
        "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

I got the same kit as you did. $47. I'm a cheap bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Ha! I love it Justin! Sarah may be calling you to install some for her!
            Ha! You read my mind!

Thank you for this writeup, you've given us all a bit of hope to get through this winter!

P.S. Summer is on the way!! (post-solstice LOL)
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
            X