Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• faded fenders - paint?

my fenders on my 98 tj are wickedly faded - is there a way to paint them black again without having to spend crazy amounts of money to have someone do it?
    98 TJ 4.0 - 2" PORC budget lift - 31s

Home Depot. Paint Department. $6. "Penetrol."
    It's a paint conditioner, but will bring the flares and ALL plastic back to black. It doesn't chip like paint, and will last a lot longer.
    Put it on with a clean rag (thick, but not drippy). Wait five minutes. Wipe it off. Voila. Re-finished flares!

It will leave a bit of a coating on them. Almost like you've laquered them.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes! Mine are great. Back to factory black again. (better if you ask me!)
    Kim
    2000 TJ Wrangler (RED)
    1961 CJ-5 Willys (BLUE)
    http://www.geocities.com/willysjeep1961/

Comment

should I take them off before doing this, or is it safe to leave them on?

Comment

I'll have to give that stuff a try myself. I attempted to use "Mothers-Back to Black", but that stuff is about as good as ArmorAll. It looks good for a week and then goes right back to looking like it did before.

I'm also curious to know if you need to remove the flares to do this, or if taping would work. Taking off my flares would be a total PITA and i'd rather go buy new ones then attempt to take them off just to paint them.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, will this stuff work on flares that aren't black? I'm like to make mine black, but they are Sahara Flares that origionally were painted to match the color of my jeep, since then (1992), they have faded and almost look silver now.
        [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
        AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
        15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
        33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
        FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
        Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
        RE Hand Throttle
        Optima Red Top
        K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

Try a heat gun/hair dryer. ****DO NOT PUT IT TOO CLOSE FOR TOO LONG!!!**** Test it on a small area. Should bring the black back.(Not like new though but what do ya expect )

Comment

No clue on the painted flares. The impression I got from everyone who recommended it to me was that it would work on the "plastic." However, I used it on the fender flares, window trim, bumpers, gas cover, lincense plate holder, hood goodies (tie-downs, etc), and both bumpers. The bumpers handled it fine!
            I tried it on my powder coated hinges and such, and it left an uneven finished, and about a month later seems like it has worn off.

I did NOT take off my flares or tape around them. Just apply it with the rag, and keep a clean one handy. Just wipe off whatever gets on the pain. No harm done.
            There are a lot of write-ups on it at jeepforum.com.

Kim
            2000 TJ Wrangler (RED)
            1961 CJ-5 Willys (BLUE)
            http://www.geocities.com/willysjeep1961/

Comment

I was looking for the stuff, but couldn't find it the other day. what kind of container does it come in? anything to help me find it - I'm not good at this.

Comment

I used Duplicolor plastic paint. I got it at walmart and man did it work good. After two months in the HOT desert they still have the dark black look. But there is the taping off the area that you don't want paint on, so you could just go with the penetrol. I hear it's good stuff.
                [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
                [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                X