Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK: Viar Extreme Duty OBA Kit

Anyone had any experience with this? It looks like my YJ is gone in the morning, and with my sudden influx of cash I've started a wishlist at Northridge. I know I want an OBA system after I toss in the Rockhard Sport Cage, but I'm torn between the Viar Extreme Duty or the Heavy Duty system? It looks like the only real difference is the Extreme has a 100% duty cycle on the compressor.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
    USMC F&AM

Hey Chris,

I had a Viair 400H on my YJ and it worked great for airing up tires. Never used it for anything else, but it performed perfectly over and over and over for me. Check with Roger, but I'm sure it is still working fine. I did not use an airtank.

Mitch

Comment

The 100% duty cycle compressor will air up slower but run a lot longer

Comment

As Art said, the extreme runs longer but slower. I've had the heavy duty system on my Jeep for 4 yrs and have never had an issue with it shutting off or overheating. Use it for my ARB and for airing up my tires. Unless you plan on airing up multiple sets of tires at once, or using it for a bounce house, I'd get the heavy duty.
        "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Good deal. Thanks guys! I know that I want the option to run power tools off of the system. This will serve two purposes for me as I do not have a garage or air compressor at home; plus it'd just be nice in those "Oh Crap" situations on the trail.
          USMC F&AM

Comment

If you want to run air tools you are better of spending money on either a york or a home compressor to be truthfull

Comment

Ya, I've looked at the Yorks, and even been scrounging some junkyards for a semi truck compressor but haven't had much luck. If I can get my hands on a semi compressor and figure out a way to make a bracket to mount it then I'll do that. I have a friend back east that runs one and said he can run anything straight off the compressor with no issues. The York is a bit too spendy for me though... Specially now that the wife has decided we should buy a house this year.
              USMC F&AM

Comment

This is the kit I have been running for a few years with no issues

http://www.jeepasylum.com/showthread...ad-OBA-install
                [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
                  Ya, I've looked at the Yorks, and even been scrounging some junkyards for a semi truck compressor but haven't had much luck. If I can get my hands on a semi compressor and figure out a way to make a bracket to mount it then I'll do that. I have a friend back east that runs one and said he can run anything straight off the compressor with no issues. The York is a bit too spendy for me though... Specially now that the wife has decided we should buy a house this year.
                  \
                  You can find rebuilt yorks on fleabay for around 150 bucks with a serpentine belt pulley on them

Comment

I may have to look into that then Art. My biggest issue may be finding a mount for it. Scott, have you ran any power tools off of that kit? I like the idea of not needing the Jeep running if just filling tires, but I don't care for the price tag. Haha
                    USMC F&AM

Comment

Working...
                    X