Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anybody using this seat?

http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai.../racing_seats/

My seats are starting to show their age. Is anybody using these seats? If so, how wide are they at the shoulder? Do they interfere with the roll bar when reclining? How far do they recline? Thanks, Ted
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

I'd be highly skeptical of the quality. For a little more money you might go for a gently used OEM or high-quality suspension seat. Or you could just go plastic, like I did
    holes = cowbell

Comment

I spoke with Pep Boys today and they say they sell a lot of these. It's no secret here that I try to find the best bang for the buck. Here's what I'm looking at. Pep Boys offers veterans a 10% discount on Tuesday-Thursday and the same for 55+. Being that they're on sale through the end of the month for $102.50, I'd be able to get them out the door for under $201.
      I could only find two reviews on these things online and they were very positive. Either the others are busy enjoying them or don't want to admit they bought them.
      My mind is still open here, but that's awfully tempting. If anyone knows of any reason not to go this way, I'm all ears (eyes).
      -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
        I spoke with Pep Boys today and they say they sell a lot of these. It's no secret here that I try to find the best bang for the buck. Here's what I'm looking at. Pep Boys offers veterans a 10% discount on Tuesday-Thursday and the same for 55+. Being that they're on sale through the end of the month for $102.50, I'd be able to get them out the door for under $201.
        I could only find two reviews on these things online and they were very positive. Either the others are busy enjoying them or don't want to admit they bought them.
        My mind is still open here, but that's awfully tempting. If anyone knows of any reason not to go this way, I'm all ears (eyes).
        Pepboys has a 30 day, you don't like em, bring them back.

Comment

Thoughts? http://www.pacificcustoms.com/empi62-2751-0.html
          -sons of thunder

Comment

It's more expensive--must be better.
            holes = cowbell

Comment

I have been using the Empi seats purchased here:
              http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...8#post14706988
              For ~3 years and they are holding well.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

How would you rate their comfort and support? Are they nice over the rough stuff?
                holes = cowbell

Comment

A suspension seat will offer more isolation from the chassis vibration, because you're basically hanging in a webbing basket, which means less impact on your spine. Whereas a plastic seat, or oem standard cushion style seat acts like a transducer transferring the energy through the seat into your body and spine. The suspension seats will also hold you in the seat through the rough stuff better than a factory seat will.
                  I can sit in my Mastercrack seats for hours and hours over severe terrain and feel no back or body fatigue from sitting. They are worth every penny. I recently sold a set of Corbeau, seats which are very nice, however I couldn't sit in those for 20 minutes.
                  In fact I want a MC office chair, cuz the thing I'm sitting in is killing me.

BACK to the question. My friend has the pep boy seats in his jeep and loves them, if you have a buddy that's a mechanic he may be able buy the seats through auto parts and get them even cheaper. I'm pretty sure that's what my friend Dave did. He somehow got them both for around $125
                  If you buy a racing style seat make sure the sides aren't too high. Getting in and out is a pain.
                  You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

That same guy has them listed on ebay for $299/set. Seems lots of sandrail/bug builders stock them around Corona. Looking at the narrower dimensions and the lack of those goofy shoulder wings kinda leans me this way. I just missed a set of master crafts on CL for $300. So, how would you rate them overall?
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

The seats have done well by me and continue to provide me good service.
                      I do NOT daily drive my jeep, but I do drive it to and from the trail Most often that is a couple of hours or more each way. The seats are comfortable.
                      The only downfall I have seen in them is the slot for the crotch belt on the harness is back further than I'd like on the seat.
                      For the money, I have no complaints about them.

They are comfortable and have lasted well in my jeep.
                      I am ~200# had back surgery and find them quite manageable on the road, rocks and in the whoops at speed. My rig is on coilovers so that may play a part in the softness of the ride.

*recommended*
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I have used Empi seats in the past and never had a problem with them.
                        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Thanks Erik, that's exactly the kind of review on those seats I was hoping for. I'm sure your coilovers help immensely compared to the stock YJ leaves like 6spdYJ/ Ted is running.

I'm about 200# myself, but I didn't find the factory seats too bad--I'd kinda bounce on the springs. Always wanted to get some nice suspension seats, but for now I have some JAZ plastics with covers for I got for like $60 or $80 on CL. I'll definitely keep the Empi seats in mind.

Toolman, your point about the plastic seats is what prompted me to make a mechanical suspension for mine. Would have been a lot easier to buy suspension seats, but I like making stuff (just not upholstery). Besides, soft seats on suspension mounts should be nice indeed. Would be nice to have some reviews of those Pep Boys seats from someone who has used them for a year or more.

With regard to your aching back, I have come to realize that sitting is harder on my back than most anything else you'd care to make a habit of doing. Seems its' not very good for my knees, either, I suspect because of what being bent for long periods does to the soft tissues. Funny, but carefully executed squats (down to thighs parallel with ground) with about my bodyweight or more has actually helped my back and knees when they were hurting. I mention that just to make a point about sitting and don't recommend that to others. If you have to sit a lot, a good seat is worth the money. When I'm more settled and have more room I plan to experiment with a stand-up workstation. Apparently much better for the heart, too.

I don't know what brand they were (wish I did), but a place I used to work for had some really comfortable, top-quality mesh chairs. Both the bottoms and backs were a strong, resilient mesh. They got them second-hand from a company that went bankrupt, but I think they were like $850 each at the time, which would put them over $1000 now. They were adjustable, had good lumbar supporting contour. The mesh was the most chair comfortable seating I've used--never got a sore (or sweaty) butt even after looong days. Seen some cheap ones I wouldn't want at all--completely different material.
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

Thanks for the input guys! If you look at their site, these guys in corona will cover the tax if you order online and specify will-call.

I've dropped from the 200# category. I promised my dad in one of our last conversations that since diabetes was a major factor in not hitting the cancer as hard as they could, I'd do everything I could to keep it out of the picture. I've been at my high-school graduation/Marine Corps service weight for over a year. It's a small benifit for a huge loss. Anyhow, no back issues, so these sound like they're in the near future.

I have stock springs?
                            -sons of thunder

Comment

I've dropped from the 200# category. I promised my dad in one of our last conversations that since diabetes was a major factor in not hitting the cancer as hard as they could, I'd do everything I could to keep it out of the picture. I've been at my high-school graduation/Marine Corps service weight for over a year. It's a small benifit for a huge loss. Anyhow, no back issues, so these sound like they're in the near future.
                              Are you trying to imply that some of us are fat? Well I'm pretty tall (5'7") so 200# is just about right. The word is stout. Actually I'd like to drop 20# or so. I scare all the wildlife within 1/2 mile when I run.

I have stock springs?[/QUOTE]

Ok, I just checked out your profile. They're what, re-arched stk (stock?) springs?
                              holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                              X