Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roto-Pax fuel cans

I have a Scepter MFC fuel can which I love and I was looking to get a couple more. Since they are not CARB compliant anymore (a crock if you ask me), they are hard to find and the prices have gone up. So, a friend told me about Roto-Pax and it looks awesome from a versatility standpoint. I am really digging these because of all the configurations you can use them.

I don't like the red color, but I asked the owner about it and he is willing to make fuel packs in OD green if I can wait a few weeks. They are pricy, but if they don't leak I may consider them just because of the mounting versatility.

So, what do you think about these fuel cans? Any of you using them?
    [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Those look cool and functional.

So what is the deal with gas cans now days? I need one for my dirtbike, but was told that if I get caught using the wrong kind I could get hit with a $500 fine . . . WTF???
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
      Those look cool and functional.
      So what is the deal with gas cans now days? I need one for my dirtbike, but was told that if I get caught using the wrong kind I could get hit with a $500 fine . . . WTF???
      I am sure someone can prove me wrong, but I think it is an old wives' tale and it only applies to manufacturers/dealers knowingly selling non CARB compliant items to the general public.

Anyway, they are really cool for any application, and especially dirt bikes if you need a little extra range

Other mounting ideas here http://www.windingroads.co.uk/shop/a...er_for_rotopax

Edit: Roto-Pax is CARB compliant
      Last edited by Lawrence; 01-07-11, 11:01 AM.
      [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Local Army Surplus guy was asking me about the Gerry cans. He said he can't get them anymore...is it just a California thing?

Comment

They look nice, but are really expensive. 89 bucks for 1 gallon? Crazy.
          I think it was jeepforum, they had a guy that contacted the MFC company and did a groupbuy for the forum, they were like 5 gallons for between 60 and 100. I can't remember what the price was, but it wasn't as crazy as this.

Comment

Originally posted by th3_d0c View Post
            They look nice, but are really expensive. 89 bucks for 1 gallon? Crazy.
            I think it was jeepforum, they had a guy that contacted the MFC company and did a groupbuy for the forum, they were like 5 gallons for between 60 and 100. I can't remember what the price was, but it wasn't as crazy as this.
            Not sure where you got your price, but a 1gal pack is $49. The Scepter MFC cans are not available for sale in the US any longer, the only way to get one is through private party, fleabay, or a drive to Canada.

Due to supply (next to nothing) and demand (very high), Scepter fuel cans have gone up in price and are now about the same as the Rotopax. I love the Scepter, I have one and it has never leaked on me but it is cumbersome as all gas cans are. If you want more than one, space becomes an issue, and the Rotopax seems different with its versatility.

Comment

Yea, I think the guy was either in Canada, or very close and could go get them.

My bad, $89 was for the mount and and bracket.

Comment

Another is the Kolpin fuel pack.

You can supposedly load 800# of crap on top of these. Put it in your rig first on a long trip like the Rubicon so you have it in case you need it, but keep the COG down low.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                  Another is the Kolpin fuel pack.
                  You can supposedly load 800# of crap on top of these. Put it in your rig first on a long trip like the Rubicon so you have it in case you need it, but keep the COG down low.
                  Yes, that is exactly what I am thinking Erik, and they are strong for sure, here is one being used as a temporary jack:

Another option is to run no spare, bring a bunch of plugs instead (lighter and less cumbersome), and then run a couple of the fuel cans in place of the spare. Perhaps something like this:

or this if mounted on the inside

Regarding the Kolpin, this is pure speculation from what I have read on the interweb. It seems that Koplin changed their design some time ago and it led to leaking cans. Rotopax was manufacturing their cans which brought bad press. So, the interweb consensus is that Rotopax is a superior product and does not leak. Who knows? I am sure they are both good but I like Rotopax ability to have 2 interlocking smaller cans in case there isn't sufficient room for the longer one.
                  Last edited by Lawrence; 01-07-11, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I personally prefer to keep everything inside the jeep. For a trip like the Rubicon, I'd hope there is someone else with the same tire size so we can share a spare tire and devise up the tools so there isn't too much redundancy between the jeeps.

i just don't like the idea of having those fuel cells hanging off the back.

Does that new jeep of yours have a fuel cell in the bed or a tank in the stock location? How does the Hemi do on fuel? Is it really that much worse then the 6?

Edit* I have used the Kolpin 4 Gallon can in the way I described; putting all of my crap on top of the can for the Rubicon. This was a few years ago, and there were no issues of leaking. I have no first hand knowledge outside of that use.
                    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

The tank is the stock one and was relocated in the TJ location. I haven't tested the Hemi offroad yet, but on our trip back home, I averaged 15mpg. However, I was not concerned about saving fuel, averaging 80mph on the highway, going up and down mountain passes in CO, fighting 65+mph winds in WY, and plain having fun with the skinny pedal whenever I could. Mileage can definitely improve slightly if I pay attention and it is better than the 6 IMO.

I probably don't need one but I'd rather have the "just in case" so it is not in the back of my mind. I think a 4gal pack like the one you had or 2x2gal would be enough for every situation and easy enough to fit into the rig.

Comment

The Roto-PAX are nice cans. All-J products up in Big Bear is an authorized dealer if I remember correctly. I will be getting these in the near future for my rig due to the versatility. One of the added benefits I see is that can also be used as a back board in an emergency. As far as expense goes look at the times you have put a cheaper product on your truck only to replace it with the more expensive version later on.

I was going to go with the Geri-Can version similar to it through Expedition One a little while ago and at that time said they were working on CARB comliance but now they are no longer legal for sale in the US at all.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pikeman;182295]The Roto-PAX are nice cans. All-J products up in Big Bear is an authorized dealer if I remember correctly.

They do carry them. Have blue ones for H20 as well. I think I also saw one that is an actual First Aid kit too.

Comment

Originally posted by red baron 13 View Post
                            They do carry them. Have blue ones for H20 as well. I think I also saw one that is an actual First Aid kit too.
                            Blue ones are supposed to be for Kerosene, the white ones are for H20.

Comment

Ryan (hook&ladder) has a set of these. They are a nice fit. He has a couple of gas cans and a couple of gadget boxes. Pretty cool stuff, but agreed, pricey.
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X