Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winch Line

I got a, new-to-me, winch. I want to unspool the winch line (synthetic rope) and respool it so I can familurize myself with its operation. My manual says that when respooling I should have 500lbs of resistance. I don't have a 500lbs weight laying around that I can attach the winch line to.

How can I create a enough resistance to properly respool, according to my manual?
    :confused:
    It was like that when I got here.

Hook it to a pole, set the parkingbrake so it has drag and winch the Jeep towards the pole, guiding the rope so it spools up nicely

Comment

Or another vehicle. When I put my new winch cable on, I winched my Jeep to my truck.

Another trick I've heard, but haven't seen is to take 2 2x4s and c-clamp them around the cable and pull against the friction of that. I think that sounds like it'd be easy to pinch a finger and hard to line up your cable very easily, so I opted for winching the Jeep to something fixed w/ the brake on.
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Just set it to where it has drag, not fully on.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

Or winch uphill
          An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post

Another trick I've heard, but haven't seen is to take 2 2x4s and c-clamp them around the cable and pull against the friction of that.
            I think this would be a bad idea with a synthetic line.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Are you sure that recommendation is for a synthetic line? I thought you only need to do that with a steel cable.
              Last edited by dirtman13; 01-06-11, 04:02 PM.
              Check out .

Comment

After making several hundreds of pulls of at least 1000 and a bunch well over 3000 lbs, it doesn't matter how tight you get the syn line on the hub. It flattens out under tension anyway, and I have only had to clear a jamb three times that I can remember where the line got pinched on the hub. And even then it cleared by hand. If you have the roller fairlead that you used for steel cable on there you will want to make sure it doesn't have any cable wear on it or it will wear the syn line when it drags across the rollers. A new billet fairlead is a better bet. I'm going on three years with the same 3/8 syn line and like I said, hundreds of pulls.
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Kurt - in your opinion: any pros to steel cable over syn line?

Comment

The winch came with the synth line. My fairlead is aluminum. It's the T-Max 9k comp winch. The manual is for both steel cable and synth line. When reading I can tell the manual is translated, and some of the phrasing is a bit odd. The tight re-spool may be intended for a steel cable. They mention the issue of the outer wraps slipping in between the under-lying cable, thus causing a bind. Based on Rat Patrol's info this is not an issue with the synth line. Either way, I went to the back of sears parking lot, and did a re-spool using the concrete base of a light pole. Even if its not nessesary its nice to be familure with your winch before you "have to" use it for the 1st time.
                    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by red baron 13 View Post
                      Kurt - in your opinion: any pros to steel cable over syn line?
                      Steel cable is not bad and there are definite uses that it excels at. But for our intended purpose, steel cable is heavy, bulky, and hard to handle. Not to mention the safety issues with it's parting characteristics. Syn lays right down when it parts. It's lighter and easier to handle. Yes, a bit more expensive but well worth the benjamins. Just remember, whatever line you use, regular inspection and maintenance is key. As much as I use mine, I inspect it before every trip. Spool it all the way out and check for wear, abrasion, cuts, check the eyelet (or whatever type working end is installed).
                      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Sorry, missed the part about it being synthetic. Don't use the c-clamp method on that! Just winch yourself to a tree or another vehicle with a little bit of the brake applied, or up-hill.
                        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                        X