Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving the sound

The sound system in my Jeep is really bad. I'd like to improve it. Currently, I have a $99 Sony tuner/CD/Aux player that has a Aux plug that works nicely with my iPod. The speakers are stock in the dash and cheap replacements in the sound bar.

I am thinking that I want to add an amp, sub-woofer, and better quality speakers. What are everyone's thoughts?

I'm not sure how to add an amp and sub-woofer in a way that will work in a Jeep that will be used as an expedition vehicle. It will regularly be filled to the maximum capacity with camping equipment and supplies.

I'm looking for ideas and advice. If you like your sound system, what kind of mounting and setup are you using?
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

I put a set of pioneer kevlar cone two-ways in the dash. It was a good improvement. My best advice on putting a set of speakers in the dash is - buy a Jeep with the speakers you want already installed.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

Here's what's in my Jeep. Kept all the factory speaker locations (2005 LJ). Mounted an 8" Rockford Fosgate sub in the center console under the arm rest (still have full storage bin compartment). Upgraded the factory speakers with more Rockford Fosgate speakers. Replaced the head unit with an Alpine unit that controls my iPhone/iPod via a cable fed into the glove box where I stash my iPod. I have two amps mounted under the rear seat. One for the sub, one for the other speakers.

I can keep my rear seat in when all 4 of us are riding aboard, or I can insert a raised platform I built that is in two sections: a permanent rear section, and a front section that is installed when the seat is removed. Gives me one large cargo floor to load up, and allows plenty of room and air for the amps. It sounds decent. Not huge thumping system like at car shows and stuff, but simple, not hugely expensive, nothing custom.

I have only a few photos of the amps and cargo tray to show you:

Amps:

Height of clips used to hold up cargo deck

Cargo deck (before carpet and tie-downs added)

Rear cargo deck with seat installed
      Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
      Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
      HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

You sure do nice work there Nathan! Kudos!
        That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
          You sure do nice work there Nathan! Kudos!
          Very nice
          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

I mounted one of these under my passenger seat:

One of these under my driver seat:

I am using whatever speakers were already in the dash of my YJ. They aren't stock, but I'm sure they are nothing too fancy.

Then there is a pair of these:
            http://cgi.ebay.com/Liquid-Audio-L-2...item1c12750627

mounted to the roll cage in the back.
            I got them for 70 bucks on ebay, so keep an eye out for an auction.

The Pyle Sub is surprisingly powerful and full sounding for what it is. The JL amp just plain rocks. It is clean pure power.

All of this crap is getting input from an Eclipse head unit.

Over all, it is a clean non intrusive set up except the can speakers in the back of the jeep.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Nathan:
              Sweet set-up! But I have to say that it is more invasive than I had in mind for protecting the amps. I'm very interested in the subwoofer set up that you did. Do you have pics of how you mounted it?

Nailer:
              I like the toys and the placement fits into my space availability. Have you had any issues with water in the tub affecting the equipment? Also, how does your passenger feel about the subwoofer under their seat? My wife and I are almost always traveling together so my seats are occupied most of the time.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Take a glance

Mike - you can check out the system I had installed Sunday at Cleghorn. There's goods and bads, but it will at least give you a "real" view.
                Joe

Comment

Mike, check this one out. http://jeepaholics.com/support/Topic361975.aspx Just a thought.
                  God forgives, rocks don't
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    Nailer:
                    I like the toys and the placement fits into my space availability. Have you had any issues with water in the tub affecting the equipment? Also, how does your passenger feel about the subwoofer under their seat? My wife and I are almost always traveling together so my seats are occupied most of the time.
                    No issues so far with water in the tub.
                    I'd imagine the passengers like the tickle
                    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I replaced the dash speakers with 5 1/4" speakers using adapters I made out of $.99 cutting boards from Ikea. Put 6 1/2" speakers in the factory sound pod locations. They fit right in place of the factory 5 1/4's. I also added a powered 8" sub under the rear seat, and have an aftermarket receiver. All this makes it sound much better than stock. It won't win any competitions, but I can hear my music just fine going down the freeway without the top on.
                      "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        The sound system in my Jeep is really bad. I'd like to improve it. Currently, I have a $99 Sony tuner/CD/Aux player that has a Aux plug that works nicely with my iPod. The speakers are stock in the dash and cheap replacements in the sound bar.

I am thinking that I want to add an amp, sub-woofer, and better quality speakers. What are everyone's thoughts?

I'm not sure how to add an amp and sub-woofer in a way that will work in a Jeep that will be used as an expedition vehicle. It will regularly be filled to the maximum capacity with camping equipment and supplies.

I'm looking for ideas and advice. If you like your sound system, what kind of mounting and setup are you using?
                        I'd have to say the heck with the tunes, put a V-8 in that Jeep and enjoy the sounds, Kevin.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Bad F N Z View Post
                          I'd have to say the heck with the tunes, put a V-8 in that Jeep and enjoy the sounds, Kevin.
                          Ha! You don't know how tempted I am right now. Mr. Green is running like crap, but i should have it fixed soon.

Everyone; I appreciate the ideas and sharing what you have done. I'm not looking to win competitions, I just want to hear my stereo on the freeway like 4xfiend said.

[/COLOR]

Comment

The rollbar pods are the easiest. Just Put in a better quality speaker in the pods. That'll be fine.

The Stock dash speakers are the problem. If you don't remove your doors then I recommend you install 6x9's in the doors. This is very easy with half doors. If you want to use the dash speakers I suggest you find some of the front pod speakers that come in the rubicons with the premium sound system. My Audio guy, who builds comp winning systems, says that it's a waste of cash to put expensive speakers in there. There is no closed area behind the speaker, so it'll never sound great. The speakers with there own enclosure is your best bet up front.

For a sub you can get a new head unit that has a built-in sub out. That way you can control the cut-off frequency and volume of the sub easily with the head unit. Then you can get a sub that has a built-in amp, like the flat one someone already listed or a bazooka tube.

It works great for me.
                            It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Bad F N Z View Post
                              I may be biased, but I'd have to agree

I'd have to agree with the 5.25s in the dash, it is a huge improvement over the 4x6s, even with the stock head unit. I am also looking to improve the tunes, and there is a lot of good info/options listed here.

[hijack] Anyone have a template for the 5.25 brackets? I had a pair but somehow lost them. [/hijack]
                              Last edited by Lawrence; 01-05-11, 09:58 AM.
                              [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X