Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

garvin industries wilderness swing away carrier?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garvin industries wilderness swing away carrier?

I've been looking at this carrier for like the past 6 years. To be exact its on page 155in the autumn edition of quadratec. I just want to know if anybody is running the carrier and if so do you like it, pros and cons

carrier

dont jump right into anything ,6 years wow.!!!! you definately like to do youre homework .

Comment

Not sure which one you are refering to....

....but I have had one of their swing racks for several years now and am very happy with it....only con I can think of is the rubber snubber that is mounted on the tailgate/door to stop it from bouncing is kinda like an afterthought....very minor detail. everything else is very well built and useful.....
      John & Kristi

Comment

Originally posted by xthread View Post
        dont jump right into anything ,6 years wow.!!!! you definately like to do youre homework .
        Well I've had my jeep 6 years and now that I have a real job and make real money I'm ready to buy it.

But thank you for the info nippletwister

Comment

No Problem....

...congrats on the new job.
          I got mine with the 5 gal gas can swing away rack, C02 bottle rack and top basket rack along with axe and shovel brackets. I regulary carry 5 gal of water in basket along with the 02, gas and a 33" spare with no worries.....I also have two antennas mounted on it, one CB, one Ham 2M, and have surprisingly (sp?) good ground plane thru it.......my two cents....
          John & Kristi

Comment

...and also....

....tow a off road trailer from the included reciever hitch.......
            John & Kristi

Comment

Thank you for the congratulations(sp) this carrier is one I might have to get then. Does it bolt to the frame or the cross member? And does it rattle over eevery single bump? My warn carrier does and I hate itout in the dirt

Comment

I really like that setup. I have the body armor bumper tire carrier. I have no complaints and its quiet but I like the looks of the one you are talking about better.
                I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Don't get me wrong I like the body armor one its just the garvin has more room for stuff. And body armor is expensive isn't it?

Comment

It is expensive, but all the good ones are. I got mine used from brothers. If I was going to buy one new I think I would buy the Garvin because 1) I like the looks of it better and 2) the tire does not have to be moved out to mount the jerry cans. but I think they both offer the same things, like swing out carrier jerry cans cb mount high lift mount and even a rack for carrying firewood or icechest, storage etc.
                    both are good options. body armor has frame tie ins but so does garmin. body armor has the hitch front and back.

When I was talking Garvin I was thinking Rock Hard. I have seen quite a few of these and they are very solid. The hinge on this carrier is BEEFY. If I was buying brand new I would choose Rock Hard.
                    Last edited by platnumb4x; 09-14-10, 08:17 AM.
                    I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

I got to put my vote in for a Rock Hard 4x4. Well built, sturdy rack. I also like the fact that you can just get the tire carrier now and add Gerry can mounts and cooler rack later. Comes with CB antenna mount, hi-lift mount, and hitch receiver.
                      Check out .

Comment

Is the rockhard carrier the one you have in your build thread?

Comment

Yes it is however I have since removed the Gerry can mounts and upper rack to save a little weight. Only use them on long trips.
                          Check out .

Comment

There are a lot more companies that are making body mounted tire carriers with separate bumpers. I like this setup much more because it distributes the load aver a few mounting points. My bumper tire carrier has eight one half inch grade-8 bolts that attach it to the rear cross member and two one half inch grade 8 bolts that attach it to the frame. I think that’s pretty much the standard for bumper mounted tire carriers. When I am on a bumpy road the whole cross member flexes under the load of the bumper/tire carrier. It really need another mount higher than the cross member. I would eventually like to replace it with a body mounted carrier like the OR-Fab carrier.
                            Those left standing
                            Will make millions
                            Writing books on ways
                            It should have been
                            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

x3 on the RockHard. I've had mine for a couple of years and would buy it again if I had to do it over. It's beefy, comes with the stuff I wanted (antenna mount, highlift mount, trailer hitch) and has add ons in case I take a long trip and need Jerry cans or a basket. I added a bracket to hold a shovel on mine. After a couple years and lots of trails, it doesn't rattle at all.
                              That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Working...
                              X