Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Gas Tank Removal

Im trying to drop the fuel tank on my 04 TJ to install a Warn gas tank skid and have not been able to get beyond disconnecting the fuel pump power connector. The install sheet from Warn says disconnect the electrical plug by sliding the red locking clip to the side and then unhook the connector. Now I have played with and numorous plastic automotive connectors before but never with a sliding clip. I slid it the only way it would move and the connector will not unplug. I tried the red clip in both positions and it still does not move. I pulled so hard, the plug slid off of the (2) tabs that hold to the bracket.

Can someone tell how you know if the plug is locked or unlocked?

The position it was in before starting...red clip showing on both sides of the plug, and would move (one way) to a position that results in the red clip fully hidden on one side, I assume this is unlocked, and locked when you see the clip on both sides.

Thanks for your help....

Ah, i love it when there is a puzzle involved in a fairly straightforward affair. Could you post a pic?
    An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

From Daily Driven TJ's write-up on a Warn gas tank skid.
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post

From Daily Driven TJ's write-up on a Warn gas tank skid.
        The red tab on the bottom of the plug in the picture should be pulled up and to the left as far as it will go. If the plug has not been unplugged recently it will be tough. Get that red tab in the right postion and give it some effort and it will come apart.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
          Ah, i love it when there is a puzzle involved in a fairly straightforward affair. Could you post a pic?
          Thats what kills me...something so simple that only gets my blood boiling.

The pics provided look just like mine.......the red tab in the photo is the position I was assuming was unlocked, but just could not disconnect. I will pull harder....I was nervous that the wires would pull out or otherwise damage the plug.

Will try again this evening...thanks guys,

Comment

Originally posted by one_crf_pilot View Post
            Thats what kills me...something so simple that only gets my blood boiling.

The pics provided look just like mine.......the red tab in the photo is the position I was assuming was unlocked, but just could not disconnect. I will pull harder....I was nervous that the wires would pull out or otherwise damage the plug.

Will try again this evening...thanks guys,
            The red tab on the bottom of the plug in the picture is in the "LOCKED" position (all the way in). You need to pull it all the way out so you can see the entire tab sticking out.It takes a bit prying sometimes.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Good God, this bad boy will not budge....

I finally got pics, can you confirm which is unlocked? I dont want to pull too hard if it is locked...

Comment

The bottom one is locked, you could try to pull that red clip all the way out with a pair of needle nose once its all the way out it, the connector should come apart without to much trouble

Comment

You have more patience than I do... I would have broken something by now...
                  If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Well, funny you mention that....I pulled and pryed and cussed and threw things...it wasn't pretty...:mad: I was afraid to pry too hard not knowing for sure if it was unlocked...going to try again tonight now that I know, but man that sucker feels glued.

The fuel lines..! Again, I have never seen this type of locking clip on fuel lines and popped off the clip that holds it. It wasn't until I looked real close at the fittings before I realized how to unclip them for removal. Now I need to rig a way of holding the lines together, or get new fittings. I'm thinking of zip ties through the fitting that holds it to the hard fuel line.

All this and an oil pan skid by this weekend....going back to Bronco Peak.

Comment

Finally.......there was one step missing from disconnecting the fuel pump connector. After sliding the red clip you still need to insert a small screwdriver in to release another tab. I inserted a small tweeker and the connector easily came apart.

Thanks all for the help...)

Comment

Working...
                      X