Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Universal" Mounting System

I hate trying to figure out how to mount things using the stock footman loops in my Jeep. I have therefore been trying to come up with something more "universal" to mount things. I have an idea for something using unistrut and I'm looking for feedback, input, suggestions, guidance, etc.

I would like to have 2 strips of unistrut (thin-strut probably) mounted in the rear of the Jeep. One under the front section of the rear seat, and one almost at the back of the Jeep.

The idea would be to have a couple eye boltss that could slide along the pieces of unistrut to accomidate mounting a multitude of things in the rear of the Jeep safely and securely.

Eye bolts like this:
    [sized]http://i1.tinypic.com/5xyvr76.jpg[/sized]

Features it must do the following:
    • Be Secure - VERY secure - I'd like to strap the child seat extra bolt to it... if you have a child seat, you know which one I'm talking about) When the child seat is not in, the system would be in place to hold down tools, spare parts, and I want them held down in a roll.
    • Be Universal: Sliding Eye bolts (why else use unistrut?) so different things can be mounted at different times with relatively little change
    • Still fit rear seat - I will still have the rear seat in most of the time for the family as my Jeep is my daily driver.
    • Look decent - I'm a bit of a neat freak.

What I need help with:
    • How to mount it? I was thinking of attaching a second piece (or pieces) of unistrut under the tub to sandwich the system to the tub. Should I have it welded instead? Like I said, I need this to be safe and strong.
    • Do you know of a cheap place to buy unistrut that sells to non-contractors? Does CED sell to non-contractors?
    • Wrenching - wanna help wrench? Once I get the plans ready and have the parts, I'll need to get it done quickly (daily driver) so I might want help.

If you've done something similar before, I'd love to see pictures.
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

FYI, something along the lines of this: http://forums.overlander.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=47219

That's the site I referenced for the picture. I'm a lot more concerned with strength than it seems that guy is, since I'll be holding down my child, or tools/spares in the vehicle with me for a roll.

Comment

I don't think mounting the child seat restrained to it is such a good idea other than that it will do what you want

Comment

Mat,

This sounds like a project for McMaster Carr. Not sure if you have searched on their site but they have all the strut you need. Different sizes, curved, stainless...pretty much all you need. http://www.mcmaster.com/#struts/=2kjqie They even show the load ratings.

If done properly Uni-Strut can handle some pretty significant loads.
        Check out .

Comment

CED has all the stuff you need, the shallow strut, the spring nuts, square washers... for cheep.
          :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            I don't think mounting the child seat restrained to it is such a good idea other than that it will do what you want
            I wouldn't mount the child seat solely with my unistrut system. I will still use the seat belt as recommended by the manufacturer, however it would be nice to take advantage of the LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether for Children) system on the car seat and hold down one or two more points of the car seat to make it *really*, *really* secure.

Plus, if I'm trusting the system to hold 200-400lbs of tools/spare parts in a roll, it damn well better hold a 40 lb toddler!

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
            This sounds like a project for McMaster Carr. Not sure if you have searched on their site but they have all the strut you need. Different sizes, curved, stainless...pretty much all you need. http://www.mcmaster.com/#struts/=2kjqie They even show the load ratings.

If done properly Uni-Strut can handle some pretty significant loads.
            Aren't they like Grainger and require a business license? At the very least, I can use their site for load ratings (might be easier than using the unistrut published catalogs).

I know unistrut is ridiculously strong when used properly... my question is... how do I use it properly in this configuration?

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
            CED has all the stuff you need, the shallow strut, the spring nuts, square washers... for cheep.
            I'll probably price compare CED and McMaster Carr and anything else that's suggested when I figure out how I'm going to mount it securely. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
              Aren't they like Grainger and require a business license? At the very least, I can use their site for load ratings (might be easier than using the unistrut published catalogs).

I know unistrut is ridiculously strong when used properly... my question is... how do I use it properly in this configuration?
              No business license required. You can buy from their web site. Not the cheapest though.

If I'm picturing this correctly I would just make sure you use some short of backing plate. Do not just bolt the strut to the sheet metal of the tub. Eventually it will bust through. No need for welding.
              Check out .

Comment

Mat,
                Unistrut is a very strong product and other than the car seat (liability issues)it will work great for what you want to do. I would NOT weld it to the tub, I would use a 1/8" x 1-1/2" or 2" wide steel bar the length fo the unistut on the back side of the tub. I would use bolts every 12", a lock washer & double nuts.

I think it's a great idea that you've come up with.
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

I've been thinking about using unistrut in the Scrambler for securing things. I've also thought about using this to attach my rear seats to, but am not satisfied with that as a secure and safe method yet.

I want it to have the greatest flexibility with it and came up with a way that would work best for my needs. Maybe it would work for you.

Let me try to paint a word picture.

2 pieces of strut would each run the length of the "bed" permanently attached to the floor just inside the wheel wells. The eye bolts that you show in your picture would be used to attach ratchet straps to for holding down cargo. For more flexibility with the placement of the eye bolts, additional pieces of strut going across the bed could be temporarily bolted to the long pieces and allowing an infinite number of placement points anywhere between the long pieces.

Although I haven't found them yet, I'm guessing that someone probably makes some sort of quick attachment clamps that can be used with strut. I'm thinking that this would be nice for moving the eye bolts quickly without having to thread them in and out all of the time.

I hope that makes sense.

Christian
                  "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

http://www.aztrucks.com/product.asp?...e_Down_Systems
                    What about just bolting in and existing system? If it is too expensive new you can find these on Tacoma and Tundras and Frontiers and Titans in the Junk Yard.
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                      http://www.aztrucks.com/product.asp?...e_Down_Systems
                      What about just bolting in and existing system? If it is too expensive new you can find these on Tacoma and Tundras and Frontiers and Titans in the Junk Yard.
                      Those sliding load locks are what I was thinking someone probably has for unistrut.

In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, Unistrut probably makes some sort of sliding lock. I'm going to look at their site and see what they have.

Christian
                      "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Originally posted by headhunter View Post
                        Those sliding load locks are what I was thinking someone probably has for unistrut.

In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, Unistrut probably makes some sort of sliding lock. I'm going to look at their site and see what they have.

Christian
                        That didn't take long.

Their Kwik Washer would do the trick with a nut on top to lock the eye bolt in place just as they would with allthread rod.

Christian

Comment

Uni strut or power strut are the only ones to chose for stability and security, both are available two different manufacturers, CED has the entire line, as well as the Home Depot for a few standard pieces. Use as many of the stock fittings as you can afford, the were designed with strength in mind, and work well. If CED gives you a hassle just call me and I will get you in the door, Jim 805 896 9902

Comment

Originally posted by Rubiconcruiser View Post
                            Uni strut or power strut are the only ones to chose for stability and security, both are available two different manufacturers, CED has the entire line, as well as the Home Depot for a few standard pieces. Use as many of the stock fittings as you can afford, the were designed with strength in mind, and work well. If CED gives you a hassle just call me and I will get you in the door, Jim 805 896 9902
                            Thanks for the info! I've already had another offer to get in (with a possibility of a discount) so hopefully some time this summer I'll get started on my project.

I still need to figure out how to securely mount it. I know the strut is strong, I'm worried about the tub, or the mounting. I'd like to put some sort of plate, or something on the under side of the tub, but haven't really figured out what exactly.

Comment

Dont know CED matt, but i can get Grainger stuff. And if you need a hand lemme know. My jeep might like your garage so much it decides to stay though. The one thing that worries me with your proposed set up is the eye bolts loosening under a shifting load, allowing them to slide again.
                              An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X