Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anybody is thinking about the rockhard cage for a tj heres a few facts to think about. 1. The group buy $526.95+ shipping starter cage doesnt change out the thin .080 wall tubes above the doors (IMHO these should be changed and are a weak link in the factory cage). 2. the rockhard cage only ties into the dash and not all they way to the floor. 3. Its an exra 165.95+ shipping for the peices to attach it to the floor so $692.90 +shipping. An addition of the rear angle bars is another $123.95 and the cross bar is $109.95 for a total of $926.80 4. We all know a bolted application will never be as strong as a welded one.

The all .120 wall dom tube sport cage I installed is definatly cheaper @ $500 installed for the front and is welded in and goes to the floor. You will have to paint it but you have to do that with the hardcore cage anyway. The addition of the upper rear bars can be done also but I am not sure about the price but I figure ~$120 installed. So for ~$620 installed you could have a welded not bolted way better than stock cage.

Understand this cage can be done by the average shadetree mechanic but it will take more than 8 hard working hours to install unless you are extremely fast. There is alot of little stuff that needs to be done from cutting the dash and vent tubes just right to making sure the door surrounds line up perfect so you have no leaks. If the other guy can do it cheaper buy it and take it too him but after he does his first one I gaurantee the price will go up. But other than a couple of nice welds and some nice tube bumper he made I have yet to see any finished cage pics, trust me I looked. Understand just because a weld look nice doesnt mean it is strong. Penetration is key and pretty cover passes are a little misleading. Dont let anyone talk you into anything less than .120 wall dom tubing for anything structural on the cage also.

Comment

As you can see this thread has been edited for good reasons. I will be posting a review on this cage in the near future. After talking to the shop owner about prices he lowered his shop rental price to $20 knocking $40 off the $500 price. As it stands the installed price is going to be $460 for the front complete install including the cage. If you bring your cage in its $20 for shop and welder rental and $160 labor = $180. For an extra $100 (not $120) up to ~10 feet of extra dom tubing can be installed to reinforce the main hoop in the rear. I in no way am making a dime from this deal and I am just trying to get some work for my buddies welder. This is a smokin deal and my guy has experience and knows what it takes to do this install. If anybody needs any other welding done this guy can also do it. This guy has lot of welding experiece and has been doing it for around 10 years. If you want to see his work I can show you about 25 limosines he has personally cut and stretched by himself among the 2 cages he has welded up. He can also stretch and turn your tj into a four door lol.
      Last edited by JeepGal; 06-05-09, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
        As you can see this thread has been edited for good reasons. I will be posting a review on this cage in the near future. After talking to the shop owner about prices he lowered his shop rental price to $20 knocking $40 off the $500 price. As it stands the installed price is going to be $460 for the front complete install including the cage. If you bring your cage in its $20 for shop and welder rental and $160 labor = $180. For an extra $100 (not $120) up to ~10 feet of extra dom tubing can be installed to reinforce the main hoop in the rear. I in no way am making a dime from this deal and I am just trying to get some work for my buddies welder. This is a smokin deal and my guy has experience and knows what it takes to do this install. If anybody needs any other welding done this guy can also do it. This guy has lot of welding experiece and has been doing it for around 10 years. If you want to see his work I can show you about 25 limosines he has personally cut and stretched by himself among the 2 cages he has welded up. He can also stretch and turn your tj into a four door lol.
        Wow, he sounds talented!

Tam
        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

So, what would it run to have a setup like you have with the rear reinforced? I am very interested in getting a good cage not only for my safety but for my kids in the back. I assume these are cash only deals? Thanks.

Comment

PM sent.
            YJ Stock
            BROSANDSISEMBROIDERY.COM

Comment

The price is above $460 for front kit installed and $100 more for 10' of dom straight tube welded in the rear. Obviously any thing extra will be priced accordingly. The welder is busy right now but he most likely be availible in a month. I believe he will do weekend work also. PM me for more info.

Comment

Not to thread hijack, but because we are reviewing roll cages, I want to interject
                ORFAB cage
                basic starter cage
                2 streamer bars
                Dash bar
                ok this unit uses the rear factory cage, replacing from the center section to the dash bars with a set of bars that connect both to the windshield and the body in the door area, it crosses over the top of the windshield, with the optional dash bar it crosses over the dash boxing in the windshield, the streamer bars are extra bars running from the factory center bar to the cross windshield bar giving you 4 bars going forward. Not a bad setup, affordable and I tested my in a extreme way this weekend
                Running down the 215 I lost control and flipped, sliding a few hundred feet on the cage.
                I firmly believe this cage setup saved my life the boxed in windshield cage stopped the windshield from collapsing and saved me from being ground into hamburger.
                welll worth the price.

as seen the windshield is basicly intact, had that collasped, I would have been toast.
                the rearsports cage held up surprisingly well, I always thought the week point of the sports cage was the front section and feel another Orfab in my future
                censored for having an opinion

Comment

What is the size of the cage for $199? The site doesnt give a size.

$199 for that much of bare steel is pretty good whats the DOM thickness.

Comment

Originally posted by smashcoast View Post
                    What is the size of the cage for $199? The site doesnt give a size.

$199 for that much of bare steel is pretty good whats the DOM thickness.
                    Its the standard .120 wall dom everybody uses. I just priced a complete bolt in orfab kit shipped with the options to make it almost equivelent to the s&w kit: dash bar, bolt in streamers bars and floor mount kit is $653.95 not installed. Thats compared to $460 for the s&w completly installed and welded in cage. Or around $280 shipped for the kit by itself not installed.
                    Last edited by Jeeperator; 07-22-09, 10:49 AM.

Comment

The SW Kit looks good. Any plans for the frame tie ins?

BlackZZR, glad to here you are OK.
                      http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Comment

Its the standard .120 wall dom everybody uses. I just priced a complete bolt in orfab kit shipped with the options to make it almost equivelent to the s&w kit: dash bar, bolt in streamers bars and floor mount kit is $653.95 not installed. Thats compared to $460 for the s&w completly installed and welded in cage. Or around $280 shipped for the kit by itself not installed.
                        Just got off the phone and getting mine shipped for $274! They told me about a day or two to bend it as they do not stock it. :haha: Can't wait to get it in! Gonna have Bo's buddy put it in.
                        YJ Stock
                        BROSANDSISEMBROIDERY.COM

Comment

Working...
                        X