Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ: Secure Storage in the Back of My Jeep

Now that the nice weather is here. I have been concerned about all the stuff I carry in my Jeep. I have a small area that's boxed in at the tail gate, but it's too small.

So I decided to cover the entire back area. I know it won't deter a hard core thief but at least the stuff will be out of site.

Here was my criteria:
    1. It has to be cheap
    2. It has to look fairly good
    3. It wouldn't be completely water or dust proof. Water not a problem here in the desert!
    4. I had to build it with materials on hand, except for the vinyl covering.
    5. Did I mention it had to be cheap?

Here's a couple of photos showing the back of my Jeep and how easy it would be to steal the stuff out of it:

Here's my work area with a few tools on it:

Here's it framed with 2x4's for additional storage height. It also shows the top is in two pieces because I am too cheap to cut it out of a full sheet of OSB board. I screwed a small strip under the splice to strenghten the top I used 6x1-1/4 D/W screws to fasten the top on the frame

Here's the top complete. The spray paint on the wood is from a previous project (Cheap!):

I routed a 1/2" radius around the edges so the vinyl wouldn't be streched at a 90 degree angle around the corner:

The next two pictures show fabbing the four metal straps that will fasten the top to the Jeep body. The straps are safety plates for plumbing piping where studs & top plates were notched. I've had a box of them for 20 years:

Cutting them in two:

Drilling additional holes:

Fastening the vinyl top with staples:

Here's the completed storage box: Note the metal straps screwed into the wood frame and the wall of the tub. I closed the end by the driver's seat with a piece of OSB board. I didn't cover it with vinyl but I painted the outside of it black:

Here it is stuffed full of my stuff:

This isn't as good of a photo as I hoped looking down on it from the top:

My total investment: $18.00 for the vinyl. I bought the mid-grade so I hope to get 3 or so years out of it.

I had the OSB board from a previous repair project to my garage. I had all the screws and other misc. items.

I know a lot of guys just just fasten a piece of ply or diamond plate over the back, but I wanted a little more height. I have about 14" in height now.

I should mention that my swing away tire carrier is lockable so the tail gate is secure.

This was kind of a neat little project today. Now I'll feel a little better about my stuff stored in my Jeep!

Maybe next year there should be fab awards. I would think I could win the "Cheapest Fab" award!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Looks good Roger, someday I will take the back seat out.

Comment

Nice cargo box. I live In the ghetto, this might end up on my jeep soon!
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Jim - I don't have kids to haul around. They have their own 4x4's, so I would rather have the room for storage.

Scott - Two questions:

1. When did Oceanside become a getto? I always assumed it was a nice place!

2. Does your statement mean you are going to steal my secure storage cover???
        MJR moderator
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

looks cool roger i did the same thing a couple weeks ago .....

Comment

Steve,

That looks great! It looks like you used carpet. I thought about that to match the rest of the tub, but I felt vinyl would help keep the wood dry.

I am thinking about a slide out drawer to get to the stuff in the back easier. I still have some material I could build it out of so I can stay on the cheap!
            MJR moderator
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Wow! Impressive. Good job you 2. That is going to be my next project. Ive wanted to take the hardtop off for some time, but didnt want to lose "security" (as if that still existed today), and just cant bring myself to shell out 400-500 plus shipping for a tuffy box.

Comment

Oh, and what about vinyl under the carpet? Would that work?

Comment

one step ahead of ya , i used a old tarp and glued it to the plywood before glueing the carpet to the tarp it work great and should hold up any water for awhile

Comment

WOW! Both of you did an Awesome job! I did mine a about a month ago but seeing both of yours, I now want to raise the hight of mine (like Rogers) and do the drawer thing (like Steve's) Looks like it's back to work for me!
                    "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Good job guys! I did mine a long time ago and looking back could use a couple of extra inches in height. Roger vinal looks nice, but I expected at least a little old school (Vintage) "Tuck and Roll" job. Very well done!

Mitch

Comment

Roger, please spray paint the exposed portions of the OSB with a good sealer paint. That OSB stuff absorbs water like a sponge, and you do get morning dew out there. Would hate to see your handiwork blister and fail when a few rattle cans of paint could help alleviate it.
                        Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Thanks Nathan,

I thought about doing that and I think I will. FYI - We get morning dew maybe a dozen mornings a year here in Lucerne Valley. In Victorville and some of the other developed towns get more dew because of all the landscaping, but we do not!
                          MJR moderator
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

You could use some of spray on bedliner or undercoater, it goes on nice and thick. It might quiet down some of those tools bangin around in there.

Comment

Those tonneaus look great I think I want to build one now. I wonder if I could buy the softtop black diamond or coated denim material by the yard.

Comment

Working...
                              X