Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally - Merc Rockers

So after waiting about two months, my Rokmen Mercenary Rockers finally arrived this week . . .unfortunately, the same day my engine light decided to come on! Started getting the Jeep ready for the install this afternoon.

Removed the flares and old Rubi Rockers . . .

The rockers match up really nice with the tub . . .

That stool with the hydro boost was the best 30 bucks I've spent . . . comes in so handy for jobs like this!

I really liked the coverage underneath . . .

Hopefully I'll be able to get them installed in the morning and if I'm lucky painted and back on in the afternoon!
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

notching the flares???

I wanted to see what you guys have done to eliminate the gap where the rocker goes under the flare. I was planning on just shaving down the plasic, but realized after taking the flares off that the plastic is rather thin at the last mounting hole and I'd basically lose that last mounting hole if I shaved off much at all. Any suggestions or tips from those who have tried this?

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
      I wanted to see what you guys have done to eliminate the gap where the rocker goes under the flare. I was planning on just shaving down the plasic, but realized after taking the flares off that the plastic is rather thin at the last mounting hole and I'd basically lose that last mounting hole if I shaved off much at all. Any suggestions or tips from those who have tried this?
      I wondered the same thing when putting on the rock-it man rockers. Unfortunately you're probably not going to find many responses to this because there's only a couple rockers which go under the flares and most people aren't smart enough to get that type...

If they do, they're used to rocks (and the damage/bad looks they create) and having a gap in the flares doesn't bother us as much.

With all that said, if a great solution is out there, I'd love to hear it, because I wouldn't mind getting rid of the gap!
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

This guys did his with a box cutter and I thought it came out really nice. I'm not sure if he lost the last mounting hole on the flare though . . . after removing the flare and seeing how thin the plastic is where that last mounting point is, I don't know how you'd avoid losing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
          This guys did his with a box cutter and I thought it came out really nice. I'm not sure if he lost the last mounting hole on the flare though . . . after removing the flare and seeing how thin the plastic is where that last mounting point is, I don't know how you'd avoid losing it.

I used a hot trim knife I used to use for installing aftermarket A/C. But you can do it with a box knife. I also made a small tab out of sheet metal that tucked under the rocker to hold that end of the flare tight. But then got tired of all that stupid :poop: and went tube fenders.
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
            But then got tired of all that stupid :poop: and went tube fenders.
            That's what I'm talking about Kurt! I just wish I could afford that right now! Too many other higher priorities!
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Dont notch them. You lose the mounting point and they'll just flap there. Just re-attach the flare hardware and call it good. You wont see the gap after a while.
              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
                Dont notch them. You lose the mounting point and they'll just flap there. Just re-attach the flare hardware and call it good. You wont see the gap after a while.

X2

I have the Rokmen's and didn't notch it. The gap is barely noticeable and, besides, how often do you look at that part of your Jeep? If you truly use those rockers for what they're designed for, a little gap at your flares will be the least of your worries.
                "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Just drilled/pryed the rivets out . . . painted the holes with touch up paint. I figure I'll cover up the holes that lead into the tub with some duct tape too just to keep the elements out of the jeep.

Yeah I heard back from one of the other guys that notched his and he lost the lowest mounting point. He did mention that as long as you trim it to fit snug, it won't flap on get snagged on stuff . . . or at least his doesn't . . . I think I'm just going to see how it looks with the gap and if it bugs the hell out of my I'll go ahead and notch it and maybe rig something up like Kurt mentioned he'd done.

Comment

Those look great,and like the way they wrap under body.
                    Dennis and Tammy
                    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Joe,
                      I took some shots of the flare gap on mine so you can get an idea.

Driver's front:

Driver's rear:

(After some rocks partially ripped it off.)

Makes the front gap look pretty small, doesn't it?
                      "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Got them all mocked up and then pulled them and off to Tomb Raider's paint booth for primer and a couple coats of Satin Black! They look great . . . going to let them dry and maybe give them a light final coat before the install. My Jeep is off to the dealership in the morning to get the engine light issue addressed . . . I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that they can get my Jeep back to me in time for Calico.

Comment

Working...
                        X